Talk

Advanced search

Help! School coat / cooking oil problem - what to do?

(8 Posts)
wantingout Tue 30-Oct-12 08:07:37

Nearly a fortnight ago, we had the cooker overhauled. It took much longer than I thought it would and at 6pm I went to the fish and chip shop in desperation.

Thereafter, DD (7) couldn't find her school coat. We got through the last 10 days of school with other coats and yesterday we finally made the connection and went back to the chippy for her good coat blush.

They kept it safe for us and I am enormously grateful. The problem is, it reeks of cooking oil. I've washed in once at 40 degrees (even though the label says 30) and it hasn't even touched the smell. I'm afraid to wash it hotter as it's a wool/polycotton mix and I don't want to shrink it. I doubt if Fabreze will do much for it and anyway, DH would throw me out if he found I was using that [poor joke, not real threat]. So what do I do?

Or do I say 'it was getting a bit small' (not long enough in the body really, doesn't cover her school skirt) and buy next year's coat a year early and hope it lasts three years?

Vajazzler Tue 30-Oct-12 08:19:50

Can you sprinkle with bicarb to soak up the smell then wash again and line dry to give it a good airing?

amistillsexy Tue 30-Oct-12 08:49:47

Wash in bi carb and vinegar. Bicarb in washing powder drawer, white vinegar in fabric softener drawer. Then hang outside for a few nights...even in the rain, especially if it's frosty. Night air gets rid of odours.
Don't use fabreez etc. They only mask smells (no matter what they claim!).

wantingout Tue 30-Oct-12 08:50:14

Vajazzler you may be a genius. I am (apparently) the queen of bicarb in my family, and I didn't think of that! It would also soak up any actual grease hanging about, wouldn't it?

Brilliant. Will give it a go. Can only line dry if it stops raining long enough, but I live in hope.

wantingout Tue 30-Oct-12 08:51:58

Sorry, amstillsexy, cross-posted. I really don't want to fabreez, so I will try the old-fashioned remedies first. Might put soda crystals in with the bicarb, they're good for grease - but might damage the wool? Mind you, she can't wear it as it is, she'll get dogs following her down the street!

Vajazzler Tue 30-Oct-12 17:57:59

grin I hope it works

PigletJohn Tue 30-Oct-12 19:39:33

dry cleaner will do it..

wantingout Tue 30-Oct-12 20:09:11

well, two washes down and it's still a lot bit... chippish. Will try again with bio powder and hope it doesn't eat the wool.

piglet, sadly it doesn't dry clean and, because there's a cross through the magic dry cleaning symbol, the cleaner won't touch it. Bugger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now