Talk

Advanced search

Baby clothes fix

(11 Posts)
Purplehonesty Sat 27-Oct-12 22:16:44

Nearly all dd's lovely new baby presents are gorgeous dresses (mainly next/debenhams) but she hasn't worn any of them because they all have buttons down the back to fasten them. I can't imagine that it is comfortable for a young baby who sleeps most of the day in cot/car seat/playmat to be lying on hard buttons. I'd love her to be able to wear something other than babygros when we go out somewhere but i struggle to find any outfits which don't feature massive buttons!
So my question is what can I replace the buttons with to make the outfits more comfy? I thought about Velcro but it would be quite thick and hard too by the time I'd sewn it on both sides of the dress.
Any suggestions out there or should I just sew up the back seams and put buttons on the shoulders instead?

BertieBotts Sat 27-Oct-12 22:18:31

Take them back and swap for a larger size? Once she's rolling and/or crawling the poppers on the back will be more comfy for her.

Purplehonesty Sun 28-Oct-12 04:32:54

Ah she has had them all too long and some of them are from shops we don't have here. I did take back anything indidnt think she would wear and swap for bigger/comfier things
She needs a wardrobe mistress she has so many clothes and yet she spends all her time in pjs!

Fairylea Sun 28-Oct-12 05:10:59

I'm not sure to be honest but I often think this about hoods ! Every baby jumper seems to have a hood which is ridiculous as they spend most of their time on their back with a scrunched up hood .. I hate it !

Plus it's just mean putting little girls in dresses once they start crawling.

would the dresses work back to front? Alternatively ribbon ties might be more comfortable?

nellyjelly Sun 28-Oct-12 05:20:57

Think dresses are a waste of time until baby can situp tbh. My DD just lived in leggings and tops or babygros. Far more comfy. She did have some lovely dresses but they just looked uncomfortable on.

Purplehonesty Sun 28-Oct-12 05:34:01

Yeah ikwym she does look really uncomfy in them and I thought I was the only person thinking how on earth does she learn to crawl in one!
All my friends babies are dressed up prettily and in cute outfits and there is dd in her babygro! I guess after longing for a daughter for so long I am desperate to dress her up but can't bring myself to do it!!
Ah well back on the hunt for cute babygros and leggings etc
Thanks

nellyjelly Sun 28-Oct-12 08:15:05

Try polarn o pyret for lovely swedish colourful babywear. Not dirt cheap but wash really well and always sell well on ebay when she's outgrown.

Purplehonesty Sun 28-Oct-12 08:17:02

Thanks will do!

PurplePidjInAPointyHat Sun 28-Oct-12 08:23:37

I'd take off the buttons, sew up the holes and replace with one velcro dot at the top just to hold the neck line shut.

Sew on hook/loop tape is much softer than stick on, and aplix is softer still.

Alternatively, what about a hook and eye at the top?

Purplehonesty Sun 28-Oct-12 09:42:42

Yeah I suppose the sew on Velcro might be better I'll get some and try. It seems such a shame for all the outfits to go to waste.
At least when we go out visiting she could dress up a bit then.
She is currently starfishing on my lap in m&s supersoft pjs and my does she look comfy. Wish they did them in my size!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now