Talk

Advanced search

What is your most labour-saving device/strategy?

(14 Posts)
ihearthuckabees Sat 27-Oct-12 11:49:16

I am trying to streamline my housework a bit, as I need more time and I need to preserve my energy a bit, as I have some health problems. What do you think is the most labour saving thing you have or do? Dishwasher? Tumble dryer? Hiring a cleaner? Hiring a gardener? Decluttering? I know all of these things might help, but what do you reckon makes the most difference?

My husband is willing to help out, in principle, but the reality is that he is a messy bugger, and he is also very busy with work. We are both self employed, so it is difficult to say no to work offers and we're not very good at routines, plus we both work from home, so work and life mess get all muddled up.

We only have one child (aged 10) and one dog, and I try not to have too high standards, so it should be doable. i just want to feel a bit more in control and like it when things feel calm and organised.

silverfrog Sat 27-Oct-12 11:51:17

a roomba. or a scooba for hard floors (or both if you are inclined)

saved my sanity for the last few years, as can do the hoovering/mopping at the same time as other housewor, or while on school run etc.

noisytoys Sat 27-Oct-12 11:54:14

A small, decluttered flat. There's not much space or stuff to tidy. I find a cluttered house never looks tidy

SavoyCabbage Sat 27-Oct-12 11:59:23

I would not like to be without my dishwasher or my bread maker. I could live without the microwave.

Pannacotta Sat 27-Oct-12 12:01:42

In your shoes I'd get a dishwasher for sure, not only as it cleans the dishes but the fact you can stack it up so you dont have dirty plates sitting around waiting to be washed, which is demoralising.
A tumble dryer does save time and again keeps the house tidier as you wont have washing draped all over the place, though not everything can go in a dryer (delicates/knitwear etc).

I am hopeless at decluttering, but when I do get round to it and create proper storage for things, it makes it much easier to clean, so try and sort what you have and give away anything you dont use.

I dont have a roomba but they do sound useful, esp with pets.

ihearthuckabees Sat 27-Oct-12 12:01:59

Noisy, we lived for a few years Ian very small flat. I loved it! So easy not to build up stuff, although being ruthless was difficult. I seem to have lost the knack for decluttering since moving into a house.

ihearthuckabees Sat 27-Oct-12 12:03:10

I have heard mixed reviews about the roomba. Any downsides silver frogs?

ihearthuckabees Sat 27-Oct-12 12:04:12

silverfrog

ClareMarriott Sun 28-Oct-12 12:15:43

Dear Ihearthuckabees

If you are both self employed and both work from home. I would suggest both you, your DH and son getting going decluttering so everyone can work/live in spaces that suit them. Check the website, apdo-uk.co.uk if you feel you need professional assistance to start you off .

colditz Sun 28-Oct-12 12:16:37

The dishwasher

TheDeathAndGories Sun 28-Oct-12 12:17:06

I love my roomba and dishwasher but my life would be a misery without the washing machine. Hand washing for six people would be hell and I don't envy my foremothers

dreamingofsun Mon 29-Oct-12 13:03:11

i have all the things you mention and wouldn't be without any of them. which do you hate doing the most? or what elements do you hate doing the most? For example, one aspect of gardening i hate so employ a gardener just for that job, the other gardening i don't mind so i do it.

i try and keep on top of some rooms and jobs, but other rooms are messier, which i'm ok with - i just close the door.

ihearthuckabees Mon 29-Oct-12 13:46:48

I don't actually mind housework per se, just don't have time and energy to droit. I hate other people's mess, but I have tried to train my DH for 20 years without success, so I think I just have to accept he is random and disorganised, and if I want things a certain way, I need to do,them.

I am thinking a dishwasher and a tumble drier are the most obvious starting points, given what you've all said. And maybe a garden maintenance person... Thanks everyone for your views.

Ihatemytoes Mon 29-Oct-12 15:03:11

Dishwasher. Without question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now