Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of mould

(9 Posts)
MamaMary Fri 26-Oct-12 23:31:31

Our baby's old car seat has been in the garage for a few months and the material on it is now covered in mildew.

Have washed it in washing machine but it's still there

Any ideas?

NewNames Fri 26-Oct-12 23:33:18

Mould is a bugger and also a health risk. I washed some blinds with mould (rented flat) and they disintegrated.

I world throw it away.

crunchingautumnleaves Fri 26-Oct-12 23:45:16

Soak in a bucket of water with tea tree oil in overnight. Then scrub off mildew/mould with stiff brush & soap. Then wash as normal.

steppemum Sat 27-Oct-12 01:09:26

bleach kills it and may get rid of the stain, but not sure how you can bleach a whoel car seat safely.

On the walls I ahve uses dettol mould spray. Works very well, but again, not sure how would do that on car seat

crunchingautumnleaves Sat 27-Oct-12 07:53:00

Like bleach, tea tree oil kills all moulds. Once mould is killed, it's easier to clean off. Unlike bleach, tea tree oil is easier to deal with smell (no toxic fumes) & it won't bleach your fabrics.

you can usually buy replacement covers on ebay. I'd be throwing it away, sorry

MamaMary Sat 27-Oct-12 18:35:40

Yes I'm considering throwing it away and just buying a new one - it's just that it's part of our travel system and I was planning on using it for DD2, due in January.

Will try the tea tree oil - thanks for the suggestion. I assume you'd need quite a bit of oil in the water? I have taken the material off the car seat so I can wash it as many times as necessary.

crunchingautumnleaves Sat 27-Oct-12 21:05:42

blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html#teatree this says 1 teaspoon tea tree oil per cup of water (NB the particular type of tea tree recommended). I used less than this for a playmat that had green mould & some black spots, as I ran out of oil. You do have to follow up with scrubbing off mould, the oil only kills it. I then put playmat in for a 60C wash. Tea tree oil not suitable for under 1 year olds, so do it ASAP and I'd wash it a few times after to get rid of smell and air plenty.

I mean the cover - could you throw the cover away and still use the shell? Does the polysterene look clean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now