Talk

Advanced search

White vinegar for clothes: how to use?

(37 Posts)
ShiftyFades Fri 26-Oct-12 20:43:52

I have bought some white vinegar to deodorise some clothes (the ones that still smell in the arm pit area).
How do I actually use it?!!
Washing gel in washing?
Vinegar in softener bit?
Do I not use softener at all?
How much should I use?
Should I soak the really crusty ones?!! (DH's "work" stuff)?
Help!!

ethelb Fri 26-Oct-12 23:24:08

Fill up the softener bit. It works really well as it rinses the soap out really well.

0liverb0liverbuttface Sat 27-Oct-12 18:30:45

Do they smell of vinegar? And how much do you put in?

ShiftyFades Sat 27-Oct-12 19:53:25

Is it an "occasional" thing? IE: will 1 go pretty much sort it and I can wash as normal until they whiff again?

ethelb Sat 27-Oct-12 21:09:09

I put in about 100ml or just up to the max mark on my machine. You just do it once and it works miracles.

ShiftyFades Sat 27-Oct-12 21:41:37

And still use washing gel as normal? Just replace the softener with white vinegar?

Soooo excited by this gringrin

ShiftyFades Sun 28-Oct-12 18:25:24

It works!!! gringringringringrin

I'm going to wag EVERYTHING with vinegar rinse this week. The two tips I washed last night are so fresh smelling. grin

gringringringringringringrin

<need to get out more>

ShiftyFades Sun 28-Oct-12 18:25:36

Wag? blush
Wash grin

fussychica Sun 28-Oct-12 18:37:05

tips or tops Shifty ? You're just tooooo excited by vinegar rinsing grin

ShiftyFades Sun 28-Oct-12 18:39:56

Lol tops!!
Blimey, all this vinegar is going to my head gringringrin

podmumlet Tue 30-Oct-12 08:39:14

Do you buy your vinegar in bulk?

ShiftyFades Tue 30-Oct-12 22:28:57

No, I just bought a 500ml (ish) bottle. Don't have much storage at the moment and wanted to try it first grin

PixieHot Wed 31-Oct-12 22:49:34

Oh, I spray it on the underarms, them wash as usual. Am I doing it wrong grin?

BeingBooyhoo Wed 31-Oct-12 23:46:31

i've been using white vinegar for about 3 years now but TBH i'm not sure if it's any better or even as good as fabric softener. all my friends who use FS have much softer feeling towels and clothes (i've asked if i can check). i haven't done the sums to see whether it's any cheaper than fabric softener.

FaintingGhost Fri 02-Nov-12 11:12:11

My dogs' beds still smell doggy after they've been through a wash, but after reading this thread I decided to try washing them with vinegar. It works! The beds smell like they've never been used, I am amazed and delighted! (The dogs are less pleased, they prefer their beds stinky.)

ethelb Fri 02-Nov-12 15:34:54

its more deodorising than softening @BeingBooyhoo

SuzySheepSmellsNice Fri 02-Nov-12 15:42:21

So its vinegar instead if softener? I just soaked the solid armpit areas with vinegar then washed as normal. Also, does it have to be white vinegar?

dreamingofsun Fri 02-Nov-12 16:59:19

suzzy - yes should be white as brown can sometimes stain. i spray it on if i've got those nasty white sweat marks on things. thanks to whoever gave me the tip on here

BooyhooRemembering Fri 02-Nov-12 17:15:11

i know it deodorises but i always read that it makes clothes/towels etc really soft. this hasn't ben the case for me. i actually bought fabric softener for the first time in years today because i'm so fed up of crispy towels.

ShiftyFades Fri 02-Nov-12 21:35:49

My plan is to deodorise everything with a vinegar-rinse wash and then go back to fabric softener.
Then, when the arm pits get a bit fragrant again, I'll do a vinegar rinse again.

I've spent ages trying different deodorants because I thought I was getting smelly blush
Turns out, it was my clothes grin
It's doing wonders for my confidence grin

I think doing this every few months will stop me throwing clothes away and will save me a fair bit of money in buying replacement clothes grin

FaintingGhost Fri 02-Nov-12 22:06:18

Booyhoo My towels are still crunchy, even though I use fabric softener. I don't know if it's just because they're old.

BooyhooRemembering Fri 02-Nov-12 22:12:38

oh really? i haven't used the Fabric softener yet but will let you know when i do. i just got the asda moonflower and ylang ylang one. although, someone, ( i think on MSE website) said that fabric softener and hair conditioner are the same thing!

FaintingGhost Fri 02-Nov-12 22:27:21

I'm currently using Lenor (original, not even concentrated) and it smells lovely, but the towels are still slightly scratchy. The new ones are a bit better than the old ones, but still quite crunchy. I tell myself they are exfoliating towels...

BooyhooRemembering Fri 02-Nov-12 22:34:00

yes that's what mine are like, get a good scrub while you dry grin

PixieHot Sat 03-Nov-12 07:33:39

You're not supposed to use fabric softener on towels as it reduces their absorbency. I think that people with fluffy towels also have a tumble drier (lucky ducks envy). Try to think of it as a feature, not a bug: scratchy = exfoliating grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now