Talk

Advanced search

If you have a preschool DC, work and don't have a cleaner then how often do you...

(14 Posts)
reastie Fri 26-Oct-12 13:29:18

..do things like polish, dust, hoover, wipe the skirting/door frames, clean the bathroom, clean windows etc etc?

Just wondering really. I have a 1YO DD and work on 3 days every week. I like everything being really clean and tidy but am really struggling to have the energy and time to achieve this. Sometimes it's impossible to do any cleaning with DD around. I've read alot of threads similar to this one but loads of people responding have cleaners to help and children who are at school so might have more time to get on with things without a toddler or baby stuck to them all day long.

Any hints for keeping a house clean and tidy gratefully received also grin

Pootles2010 Fri 26-Oct-12 13:33:19

I have fulltime job, 2 yr old ds and don't have cleaner, also don't have a clean house!

Most of my energy goes into basics, like dishes, laundry, ironing, de-cluttering and just basic cleaning like wiping tops.

Anything non-essential (like polishing, cleaning windows etc) gets done hardly ever, maybe yearly?

Tidy is the key for us, and what i aim towards. Obviously the bathroom etc gets cleaned, but not as thoroughly as i'd like - not doing skirting boards, tiles etc iykwim.

mirry2 Fri 26-Oct-12 13:36:39

Sometimes you just have to let things go and focus on the priorities. A clean bathroom and kitchen, clean bodies and clean clothes are a priority, along with enjoying your dc's early years. Take leaf out of pootles book.

reastie Fri 26-Oct-12 13:40:43

I do think like that mirry but have that permanent guilt I can't get everything done and can never feel completely relaxed with the state of the house blush . I have already dramatically lowered my standards! We keep on top of things like dishwasher, washing, bathroom, keeping things generally tidy (and that feels hard enough) but it's the 'extra' bits I never get around to. I have friends who have lovely clean houses and they don't have cleaners and they work - I wonder if their homes are always like that then or if they have to do a big clean before I come over to make it look like their house is always perfect which might be what I do too!

Sagelyhaunting Fri 26-Oct-12 13:47:29

Any extras are once in a blue moon here! Even ironing is only a fortnightly event in our house...

I had a rare child-free morning yesterday and did a major sort out of kids' bedrooms, toys, clothes etc. I also did the floors and steam cleaned the bathroom-the gunk coming out of the hinges of the toilet seat was truly disgusting!

I will do the windows soon as they are very very smeary...

I also do any 'quiet' cleaning jobs when the dc are asleep, including skirting board wiping, cleaning cupboard doors and the like.

Don't feel bad about it-having a pristine house isn't the be all and end all smile

issimma Fri 26-Oct-12 15:27:10

I follow the flylady baby steps thread on here and it helps w reminding when to do windows or other occasional things. Also seeing other people's lists is good motivation.
Other tips:
*don't bother tidying while DD is up - wait til bedtime and then at least the toys are away for the evening.
*do a wash load a day
*dishwasher emptied at night and refilled throughout the day closes eyes at state of kitchen
*wipe kitchen surfaces after breakfast so kitchen feels clean throughout the day
*don't hoover every da
*never iron
*meal plan for the week so there's always sth for lunch and tea
*write to-do lists. Lots of them
*involve DC where possible. 21mo DD has a toy hoover that she only wants to play with when I'm hoovering. She also plays with cups/beakers and lentils/rice while I cook.

reastie Fri 26-Oct-12 16:25:55

issimma waiting till DD is sleeping won't work as she doesn't go to sleep until 8:30, and then I'm propping my eyes open and in bed soon after myself blush . I do the wash load a day though and that really helps, plus I never iron and only hoover the bits that really need it (ie the hall) every other day or so. DD has also started helping me empty the dishwasher, which is great hmm grin

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 26-Oct-12 17:35:27

I was just about to start almost exactly the same thread! I have pretty low standards but I'm even finding those difficult to maintain at the mo.

I just do the bare minimum (that excludes ironing) and get DH to hoover when he has time. I can't do atm as my hips are bad. He doesn't often have the time so the dustbuster is my favourite household appliance!

I can't do anything after DD is in bed, apart from throw all the toys into a basket. I do a lot of the things in issimma's list.

I have e-cloths for the bathroom, so I have a quick wipe over the sink when I have the motivation/energy. I also sometimes grab a wet wipe if I'm chatting on the phone and do a bit of damp dusting. Or wipe the finger prints off the mirror.

Any other tips for maintaining very low standards in the face of low energy and motivation?

Bonsoir Fri 26-Oct-12 17:37:33

Get a cleaning company in once in a while to spring clean and get on top of things.
Send your ironing out.

issimma Fri 26-Oct-12 17:55:57

reastie tidying the toys is possibly an exaggeration. We have a big toy box (ikea hol) and everything gets thrown in there. Takes 2 minutes.

tilder Fri 26-Oct-12 18:13:57

It gets worse with each additional child as well.

reastie Fri 26-Oct-12 18:25:44

just as well I'm not planning on having any more

Babyrabbits Fri 26-Oct-12 21:16:14

You just have to relax standards a little. It all gets easier :-) i had two under three and as above only did the most important jobs.
They are only small for a while.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 26-Oct-12 21:18:28

only before visitors come
if we didn't have regular guests, someone would need to call environmental health

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now