Talk

Advanced search

Why can't I use fabric conditioner on jeans?

(8 Posts)
Madmog Thu 25-Oct-12 11:25:13

Bought some new jeans recently and I've noticed the labels say not to use fabric conditioner. Does anyone know why? I've been washing my old jeans along with everything else in fabric conditioner and they always seem okay.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 25-Oct-12 11:31:49

Are they expensive? I know VB's label, Moschino etc jeans tend to say not to use fabric conditioner. I did anyway and it ruined the colour of both pairs. Luckily, the companies were lovely and replaced them, after giving me a long chemistry lesson on the phone! It infiltrates the material and pulls apart the colour, apparently, ruining both the colour and the fit. I haven't done it again since!

Although I did ruin OH's favourite t-shirt yesterday, and I feel terrible for it

TeaBrick Thu 25-Oct-12 11:36:15

I've stopped using fabric conditioner at all, and come to think of it some jeans I've had a few weeks haven't faded yet (fingers crossed) I've been washing them a lot less than I normally would though

Madmog Thu 25-Oct-12 11:51:09

Thanks for your replies. They are made by Next. Already washed two pairs when I actually read the label and can't see any difference. I was wondering if it would make a difference to colour/fit longterm and that's the reason why. I have another two pairs I bought also from Next so might try washing these without fab con and see if there's a different in a couple of months.

BikeRunSki Thu 25-Oct-12 11:57:02

Fabric conditioner rots Lycra too. If they have Lycra in, this may be the reason.

Madmog Thu 25-Oct-12 12:26:06

They have elastane which I suppose is stretchy like lycra.

BikeRunSki Thu 25-Oct-12 14:25:06

Lycra is a trade name for Elastane I think. They are the same thing anyway.

Madmog Thu 25-Oct-12 14:27:32

Thanks for that. As a matter of interest I think I'll going and recover my old jeans (ready for throwing out) and see what they were made of!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now