Talk

Advanced search

I've Rug Doctored my floors, but they now stink! <<boak>>

(12 Posts)
UterusUterusGhouli Thu 25-Oct-12 10:00:25

The carpets look a million times cleaner, but they now smell of mushrooms. t's a really overpowering damp earth smell.

I was really careful to go over the floors w/o spraying to get them as dry as poss, but ye gods! It reeks!

What can I do?

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Thu 25-Oct-12 10:03:04

Wait for them to dry, the smell should go

my house sometimes smells of cat piss wet dog when I wash the carpets but smells much better after its all properly dry.

UterusUterusGhouli Thu 25-Oct-12 10:06:17

Does the smel get better, or do we just get used to it, Kitten?

It smelled like this last time I saw the Doctor, and it gradually faded, but it's much worse this time. Because of all the dog piss

I'm worried my house will smell like a cellar and I won't notice.

Poledra Thu 25-Oct-12 10:17:43

You do the Shake'n'Vac
And put the freshness back.
Do the Shake'n'Vac
And out the Freshness back!

<Boogies off backwards, shaking my booty bottle with a plastic smile on face, dressed in slacks and twinset>

Pugless Thu 25-Oct-12 10:19:12

Mine did the same and a few other people i no that have used the rug doctor. The smell did go after a few days.

tipp2chicago Thu 25-Oct-12 10:21:20

We used a rug doctor and the place reeked for about a week while the carpets were drying out. It was great after that though.

MrsMiniversCharlady Thu 25-Oct-12 10:21:33

The smell does go eventually, but will reoccur if they get wet again. I only do mine when the weather's hot for this reason, or if it's winter then I crank up the heating really high so they dry quickly. I would get the house toasty until the smell goes.

Bluebell99 Thu 25-Oct-12 10:25:05

There was another thread about this about a month ago. I just did a search but don't know how to link. Anywhere sounds like the other op rang a rug doctor helpline and was given some sort of spray to use.

misscph1973 Thu 25-Oct-12 10:34:41

Get a few large packs of bicarbonate of soda from Robert Dyas or similar. Sprinkle a medium fine layer all over the carpets before you go to bed. Hoover it up in the morning. It sucks up ALL smells and it lasts quite long. Plus, it doesn't leave the smell of old ladies hand bag that Shake n Vac does ;)

UterusUterusGhouli Thu 25-Oct-12 11:50:33

Ooh lots of helpful relies!

Thank you all.
I have some bicarb, so I'm going to try that. Id worry a bit about the dog inhaling all the shake n vac, although I promise I'll do the song, Poledra.grin

Bluebell, was the spray ££? I might get sme frebreeze or something.

AtLongLast Thu 25-Oct-12 16:50:42

We made the mistake of rug-doctoring just before we had a load of visitors a few months ago & had the same problem hmm. It did go eventually & I found neutradol powder worked well in the meantime.

UterusUterusGhouli Thu 25-Oct-12 18:02:50

Oh no, Longy!
I'm dreading someone coming to the door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now