Talk

Advanced search

what do have in your living room for setting your tea/coffee cup on?

(17 Posts)
BeingBooyhoo Wed 24-Oct-12 20:38:56

i'm currently using the floor <not recommended with toddlers/cats/dogs> or dc's plastic chairs. i used to have a coffee table in the middle of the room but it's a small room with two doors and the coffee table made the space very awkward. i was thinking of getting a nest of tables but are they very old fashioned now? the only people i know that have them are my mum and aunt and they are both dark mahogany sets that would look wrong in my living room as all my woodwork is white.

any suggestions what i could get that wont take up lots of space or cost a fortune?

uoYekorByMredluomS Wed 24-Oct-12 20:40:49

Shelves, windowsills, pc desk...actually we have a very low Moroccan table as well. Tk max sometimes have them.

WillSingForCake Wed 24-Oct-12 20:43:28

We've got a little table in the corner of the living room, which I put my drink on. So its on the other side of the armrest, rather than in front of me. It's just a little plain bog-standard table from Ikea, very cheap & cheerful!

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 20:46:41

I have a coffee table or the hatch behind the sofa. I also have a glass nest of tables, meh I don't care about being old fashioned as fashion always come back round again anyway. <words of old lady wisdom at 24>

What about something like these clear nest

ceeveebee Wed 24-Oct-12 20:55:35

We have a couple of round retro teak tables one in each opposite corner

stuffitunderthebed Wed 24-Oct-12 22:37:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Wed 24-Oct-12 22:42:43

Arm of the sofa! No table here either. Might get one when Ds shows a better appreciation of space/slows down to below bullet velocity/gets body armour.

BeingBooyhoo Wed 24-Oct-12 23:52:34

ooh thanks for replies. i wasn't expecting so many!

i think i'll go for a nest of tables so that there is a spare table for friends sitting on the sofa/other chair.

not so keen on the clear ones. a bit too modern for me but will have a look for something in between clear and mahogany grin

i used to use the arm of the sofa or the middle seat of it but it got really badly marked with cup rings. this is a new (well new to me, inherited from my nana) suite and so far it's in decent nick and i want to keep it like that (HA!) for as long as i can.

CointreauVersial Wed 24-Oct-12 23:54:28

We have a square Ikea coffee table on wheels. It can be whizzed into the corner if we need more space.

BeingBooyhoo Wed 24-Oct-12 23:57:27

ooh! now that's a good idea, i could just wheel that between the sofa and chair.

janji Thu 25-Oct-12 00:50:00

Argos and Laura Ashley have a good range of nest of tables ranging from the traditional to the modern! Aldi IKEA have some nice end tables/smaller coffee tables.

stuffitunderthebed Thu 25-Oct-12 09:59:33

stuffitunderthebed Thu 25-Oct-12 10:02:56

surroundedbyblondes Thu 25-Oct-12 10:03:41

We have a pouffe type thing that we put a nice, sturdy tray on. Makes a flat surface for cups etc. and can be taken off later so that we can put our feet up.

notcitrus Thu 25-Oct-12 10:05:34

You can get nice nests of plain tables - look on Ebay to get ideas. Think John Lewis do beech ones and IKEA have coloured ones.

shrimponastick Thu 25-Oct-12 10:05:40

we have a nest of tables. i don't think they are old fashioned. we have two sofas, and it means that there are enough little tables for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now