Talk

Advanced search

Previous tenants have left smokey smell

(7 Posts)
TinTinsSexySister Wed 24-Oct-12 19:26:52

We've just had to move to a rented flat, which the previous tenants have clearly been smoking in as it stinks!

Landlord has today agreed to arrange for a company to come and clean the sofas and rugs in the living room and I intend to wash the curtains in DD's room on the weekend.

What else can I do to get rid of it?

I intend to wash all the walls on Friday, any particularly effective detergents out there? And are there any odour neutralisers that work?

I would much appreciate all ideas/suggestions. Thanks.

FloJo151 Wed 24-Oct-12 19:32:39

have been googleing this myself as we have just bought a house were previous owners were heavy smokers. Most answers were to use vinegar/water solution. google to check correct dilution

GeordieCherry Wed 24-Oct-12 19:33:16

Sugar soap maybe..?

stuffitunderthebed Wed 24-Oct-12 23:07:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TinTinsSexySister Tue 30-Oct-12 18:49:31

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

Internet still not set up properly, so apologies for not updating sooner.

Been shivering with the windows open yesterday and today, which has defo helped a bit.

Despite being professionally cleaned sofas still smell smokey. Might also give the 1001 a go.

I used sugar soap to clean all the walls, not sure how much difference that has made but I felt better for doing it!

If anyone has any more ideas do let me know. smile

TinTinsSexySister Tue 30-Oct-12 18:50:14

Oh! And hope yours is coming on OK too FloJo grin

shriekingnora Tue 30-Oct-12 18:55:15

Make sure you clean the insides of the windows too as cigarette smoke can form a horrible film on the glass. Don't forget the ceilings - they were the worst bit in our house when we moved in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now