Talk

Advanced search

My Brabantia bin lid seems to be broken, anyone bought a new catch and managed to change it?

(22 Posts)
topsi Wed 24-Oct-12 11:44:21

On e-bay you can buy a new bit that replaces the bit at the top. After looking at the bin I can't work out how I would replace the bit. Has any one done this please??

SuperSesame Wed 24-Oct-12 11:48:59

I have a Brabantia bin and have never needed to replace catch but I have heard that Brabantia will send you a catch for free as it has a lifetime guanentee. Not sure how true this is but worth checking.
There's a video on their site about how to replace the catch.
http://www.brabantia.com/uk/services/frequently-asked-questions/questions-about-service-parts/#faq-item-18

seeker Wed 24-Oct-12 11:51:58

There's a video on Utube.

But never fort that Brabantia bins have a lifetime guarantee-if you can't fix it, send it to them and they'll send you a new one.

sheeplikessleep Wed 24-Oct-12 12:15:01

We had this.
Phoned up Brabantia. They sent a free one in the post.
Can't help with how though, as I got stuck with it too and DH did it. I think he prised the old one out, but can't remember how.

sheeplikessleep Wed 24-Oct-12 12:16:12

Sorry, I didn't ring, I emailed them. They emailed me back asking questions about whether shiny / matt, where Brabantia logo is, where the fault is etc. I guess to ensure they were definitely sending out the right part.

It did take a while to come through, guess down to international post.

Good luck! Go on the UK version of the Brabantia website and email them.

amazonianwoman Wed 24-Oct-12 14:38:54

The same happened to ours, I emailed them via the website, returned the faulty bin lid and they sent a lovely shiny new one smile. A whole new lid, not just the small broken catch.

Very impressive customer service (but obviously a common design fault).

EmmaNess Wed 24-Oct-12 14:42:02

yy mine went ping about 10 years ago
called Brabantia
they sent new lid
new lid still going strong

CakeExpectations Wed 24-Oct-12 14:51:49

The catch broke on ours too, albeit after about 12 years of heavy use - so I can't really fault it.

I phoned Brabantia and spoke to a lovely lady who said that they would send out a new lid. It originally had a 10 year guarantee,which I had lost, but she explained that it was fine - you pay a bit extra for Brabantia and get excellent customer service. She wasn't wrong.

Like with sheep, I had to identify exactly which lid it was by email, then very quickly received a lovely new lid in the post.

Fab company. smile

sheeplikessleep Wed 24-Oct-12 16:40:33

envy at getting a whole new lid grin

topsi Wed 24-Oct-12 17:34:23

ooo very pleased thankyou all I will phone them in the morning, problem solved!

smalltown Wed 24-Oct-12 17:37:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wadadlis Wed 24-Oct-12 17:42:33

We also got a brand new lid. Lovely and shiney. Meant I didn't have to clean the bin for ages - perfect!

Ihatemytoes Wed 24-Oct-12 20:20:43

We got a new lid too.

ajandjjmum Wed 24-Oct-12 20:32:40

Brabantia are brill. We got a new lid too. Wouldn't buy any other sort of kitchen bin. Use them on our commercial sites too, and they stand up to quite a lot of hammering.

maxmillie Thu 25-Oct-12 10:19:00

also phoned Brabantia and got sent a new lid - be firm, they initially said does it look like you could put a new bit in etc and i just said no is comletely knackered need a new lid - which turned up 2 days later! Bin was about 11y old.

petalpower Thu 25-Oct-12 14:29:00

Yes I got an new catch too when the removal men put something heavy on top of the bin during our last house move. Arrived the next day, all for free, very impressive. Brabantia are lovely people!

stealthsquiggle Thu 25-Oct-12 14:36:06

As everyone has already said - don't buy one, ask Brabantia.

Which reminds me, I need to do the same - they sent replacement catches, but a few years later the other half of the catch has gone - which means, I think, a new lid.

topsi Fri 26-Oct-12 16:53:11

I have managed to order one from them off the internet FOC! They have even e mailed me to check I have ordered the correct size! WOW proper customer care!

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 26-Oct-12 16:55:18

Well, I wish I had known how helpfull they are as ours went not long after we bought it and DH cobbled some repair together

We gave in in the end and bought a Simple human bin which I prefer.

ILikeToMowIt Fri 26-Oct-12 20:31:45

Echo previous posts: phone them or email them. Brabantia customer services is super: my mum got me a drying rack as a present hmm i know.... one of the hinge-thingies on it broke. i told my mum, she called Brabantia, they sent a replacement hinge to me. What i thought was most amazing about this was that my mum is not in uk and did not own the drying rack herself, but they still sent out the hinge to me (without proof of the old one having broken).

MissLivvy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:48:05

Brabantia have the most fab after sales service. Our bin is years old and lid had broken, emailed Sue Addicot with photo and within a week brand new lid was delivered. Her email is suea@brabantia.com.

Hulababy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:52:27

Echo others. Don't rebuy. Simply contact them. They will replace at no further cost. We had the catch go on ours after a few years, emailed them. IIRR they sent us a prepaid envelope, we posted the lid back and they sent us a replacement - and all pretty quick tbh too, and for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now