Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Disappointed with my cleaners. Am I being taken for a mug?

(18 Posts)
Cutiecat Wed 24-Oct-12 02:38:00

I have a mother and daughter clean for me, they do 4 hours total so 2 actual hours here 2of them working iykwim. Just a bit of background, they have been cleaning for me for 6 months and were recommended by an acquaintance. Over the summer holiday with them and us being away things had got a bit muddled and so I drew up a sheet of what I expect to be done on each visit. They just looked it over and sort of said yeah ok but I was being a bit more proactive and when they arrived told them what I wanted doing. We have a four bedroom too bathroom house with three kids, one a toddler and I work from home. It can get dirty and a bit messy but I don't expect a show home when they leave.

So on Monday I asked if they could clean the oven (something I had put as occasional on the list and never asked previously). As my little one was not well she was napping and I was trying to get some work done so was not really paying attention. After they left I went upstairs to find none of the upstairs had been hoovered. I sent a text to the daughter, which is their preferred method of commnication asking if their was a reason for this. I wrote it very carefully and said that from now on it is always a priority.

I got a reply saying it was because they had to do the oven. This has annoyed me so much I can't sleep. Firstly I heard them chatting in the kitchen and they both were in there for an hour (so equivalent of two hours). I had popped in to get something at one point and the daughter was just showing a cloth to the work surface but really leaning on it and chatting. My bedroom and the kids room have nothing on the floor. I spotted one hair clip on my daughter carpet which was what made me realise they hadn't been Hoover. It would have taken less than 10 minuets to push a Hoover round three rooms (as DD was napping did not expect that to be done). They also know she sleeps like a log so it was not because she was napping.

Am I being silly?

Cutiecat Wed 24-Oct-12 02:40:19

Sorry about typos. Also when reading back I wanted to clarify that the house is not actually that dirty and messy, more lived in.

caramelwaffle Wed 24-Oct-12 02:43:09

Give them one more chance; if they are not up to scratch - sack them.

Cutiecat Wed 24-Oct-12 02:49:45

Thanks caramel. I sort of feel that after the summer of them being a bit erratic and some visits bathrooms not being done etc. this was their second chance. I not want to be left without a cleaner but this has really annoyed me. They are expensive too.

NatashaBee Wed 24-Oct-12 02:52:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cutiecat Wed 24-Oct-12 02:59:02

Natasha I could easily do it in 3 if I didn't have my 'assistant' following me round emptying cupboards. I did a clear list of what the priorities were. All I really want is bathrooms, kitchen, Hoover and wash kitchen floor. When I said oven I even said 'just spray it with mr muscle and give it a wipe out'.

I think I am more cross that it would have taken less than 10 minutes to have hoovered three bedrooms.

Astelia Wed 24-Oct-12 03:03:57

It doesn't sound like they are speeding round, the chatting makes it sound like a casual thing. Why were two of them in the kitchen for so long? If one was doing the oven the other should have been getting on elsewhere.

I don't understand why they can't follow your instructions, that would be a deal breaker for me. My cleaner does exactly what I ask her to do and indeed more.

They sound rubbish I'm afraid.

Cutiecat Wed 24-Oct-12 03:09:50

I think they are taking the piss. I had a cleaner before who did it in three but because of my little one being at the messy stage when I hired these ones i upped it to 4 hours. I don't think I am being unreasonable.

BloooCowWonders Wed 24-Oct-12 05:57:48

Time for a change. When you get a good cleaner, your life is easier. Sounds like this pair can't be bothered so move on. No point in another 'second' chance.

If you go through an agency, you can request a different cleaner til you get one who knows what they're doing.

MaBumble Wed 24-Oct-12 07:39:51

Cutiecat, do you live up north? I think we have the same cleaners :D

WipsGlitter Wed 24-Oct-12 07:42:55

Get rid. I paid for two horse cleaning but was sent three girls for 40/45 minutes the were so focused on speed they didn't clean properly.

Flojo1979 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:46:40

I recently sacked my cleaner. She spent too long texting and whilst she did get round the house, she had little concept of 'deep' clean.

Flojo1979 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:47:36

Haven't found a replacement tho and currently spending my annual leave getting the house straight.

Chandon Wed 24-Oct-12 07:51:18

The problem is that they are together, so are liable to spend a lot of time chatting.

I would look for a cleaner who works on his/ her own, in 4 hours a house should be pretty clean!

VerityClinch Wed 24-Oct-12 07:53:55

Cutiecat, do you live in Kent by any chance? I had exactly the same situation (mother and daughter team, v erratic, never knew who or if they would show up, poor cleaning). I sacked them and hired a new cleaner (who I totally recommend) and everything is v different now (ie my house is clean).

If the cleaner you have has a daughter who is constantly "ill" or other childcare issue, PM me! I'll give you the name of my new one (she has some free slots still)!

helpyourself Wed 24-Oct-12 07:53:58

I can't work out whether you were happy with them before. If you were, I'd chalk this down to lack of being clear. I would have thought you meant 'don't hoover upstairs as DC is ill, do the oven instead'.

The leaning on the surface, cloth in hand would annoy me though!

Cutiecat Wed 24-Oct-12 11:05:51

They know my daughter sleeps really well so they would not have thought that a reason not to Hoover. The bathroom is. Right next to her room and they chat loudly every week in there.

I think that they view their cleaning session at my house as a catch up but I am paying good money to have my house cleaned. I will seek a replacement and then fire them.

Arithmeticulous Wed 24-Oct-12 11:23:33

I paid for two horse cleaning but was sent three girls grin

I'd start looking for someone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now