Talk

Advanced search

Looking for vacuum cleaner recommendations

(13 Posts)
Givememorecheese Tue 23-Oct-12 10:58:32

DS has just turned 6 months. Since he cracked rolling he's developed a thing for rolling off into corners under desks and chairs as soon as you take your eye off him. Won't be long until he's crawling too. It becomes apparent that I really need to start keeping the floors a lot cleaner than I've needed to up to now wink

We only have little areas of carpet so we've made do with cheap vacuum cleaners up to now and just swept the hard floors, but both myself and DH having long hair and throwing an elderly cat into the mix, we do get a lot of fluff and hair caught in corners.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good all-rounder that works well on both carpet and hard floors, but particularly something light, maneuverable and good for getting into all the nooks and cranies where fluff and babies collect?

RationalBrain Tue 23-Oct-12 12:14:44

No help sorry (except that my dyson animal seems rubbish on our lovely new wood floors), but can I watch with interest?

JudeFawley Tue 23-Oct-12 12:25:47

I would recommend a Miele. They do a 'cat & dog' one.

I am just about to replace ours, we've had it for aeons. Nothing wrong with it, mil's dog has chewed an attachment.

I'm getting this one again, which is great for hard floors as well as carpet.

Avasmumy Sat 27-Oct-12 20:55:01

I have just purchased a Vax power 7 pet cylinder vacum cleaner as we have a dog and have cream carpets upstairs and laminate downstairs. Our old one couldnt be used on wood floor so meant meant sweeping every day which was a pain and it wasnt picking up any dog hairs etc from the carpets and this would leave them looking dull. This new vax is brilliant, can use on both wooden and carpet floors as has two different settings, has a power setting and picks up all the hairs deep in the carpet and can be lifted around easily. Got it at half price too!

addictedtolatte Sat 27-Oct-12 21:00:14

miele here as well

Ponders Sat 27-Oct-12 21:21:49

Miele every time for me. They are mostly cylinders (but fairly light & easy to lug about) & they do need bags (but the bags are very strong, last ages & don't reduce suction significantly even when nearly full)

Fantastic cleaning on both carpets - you need to turn the suction down grin - & hard floors

PigletJohn Sun 28-Oct-12 00:54:17

recommendation 1: Get a Miele

recommendation 2: If you have many carpets, an upright will get them cleaner than a cylinder.

Incidentally, the new white synthetic bags really do seem to be better than the old brown paper ones, for not clogging and for trapping more fine dust. They are cheaper online than in Miele shops. If you are mean like me you might wash and reuse your secondary and Hepa filters a few times when they get dirty, but you will need to have at least one clean spare ready with the pack of bags.

permaquandry Sun 28-Oct-12 01:59:49

I have a sebo cylinder k series. It's very good, has different heads for different floors and has synthetic bags and a power control. You must change the filters as often as recommended though or it doesn't perform as well.

It is not expensive either.

mandasand Sun 28-Oct-12 02:04:26

Sebo. Husband (a engineer) insisted and he loves it - I've never had to hoover since!

lynniep Sun 28-Oct-12 02:44:51

Do not get a dyson animal. Under any circumstances.pile of crap

geekonthehill Sun 28-Oct-12 03:32:16

Miele cat and dog one. Is amazing

toomuchicecream Tue 30-Oct-12 11:27:51

Love my Dyson animal...

greebo Tue 30-Oct-12 11:57:38

We had a dyson and hated it. Replaced it with www.johnlewis.com/231270111/Product.aspx and its still going strong 5 years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now