Talk

Advanced search

will having less wardrobes 'force' me to de-clutter or just leave us in a hopeless mess? advice please

(24 Posts)
stuffitunderthebed Mon 22-Oct-12 21:49:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ToothbrushThief Mon 22-Oct-12 21:52:10

Think about it totally differently.

Open one wardrobe door. Any clothes not worn I should say in the last 6 months, but will be gentle year? Chuck 'em

Open another...ditto

etc

You will find out that way how much space you really need

stuffitunderthebed Mon 22-Oct-12 22:39:04

stuffitunderthebed Mon 22-Oct-12 22:45:31

cece Mon 22-Oct-12 22:48:35

My rule is 2 years.

PoppyScarer Mon 22-Oct-12 22:49:32

Anything off-season goes in boxes with mothballs into the loft. So now it should be t-shirts, shorts, thin tops, sandals, flip flops, etc.

Rotate in April. When you open the summer box, be ruthless about what you allow back into your life and take stock of what is still in your wardrobe.

Make sure you sell good stuff on eBay or dress agencies, selling rather than giving it away makes you more ruthless!

stuffitunderthebed Mon 22-Oct-12 23:00:49

stuffitunderthebed Mon 22-Oct-12 23:02:52

stuffitunderthebed Mon 22-Oct-12 23:03:35

stuffitunderthebed Mon 22-Oct-12 23:05:49

QuiteOldGal Tue 23-Oct-12 05:57:43

Our back bedroom is just like that grin

I suppose it depends on how often you would use it as a guestroom and who stays. If very rarely I think I would leave it and possibly turn it into a dressing room. No point in having a showpiece bedroom if no-one ever uses it.

stuffitunderthebed Tue 23-Oct-12 09:04:15

ClareMarriott Tue 23-Oct-12 09:32:38

I was going to say it sounds like the back bedroom was being used for the overspill of clothes but if it is just for your clothes , you have already got rid of 12 bags of clothes and it still seems to be rammed, I would go for the presentation of the room first. I would keep the bed and three door unit. This way if you do have guests then you/they will not be overwhelmed by staying in a room that sounds as if it might have too much furniture in it. If you really need to keep what is in the 2 x wardrobes and canvas wardrobe, then what I would suggest is that they are vacuum packed and put in the loft, if you have one. Good luck Clare

stuffitunderthebed Tue 23-Oct-12 11:27:34

ClareMarriott Tue 23-Oct-12 15:05:08

Hmmmmm!!!! I could certainly help you out but I can't advertise the fact that I run a decluttering business so if you think a professional declutterer could help you contact APDO Uk to find out the person nearest to you. Otherwise, I would just say if your clutter is yours and your DH's then arrange some time just to go through a small pile together and get through everything that way. Hope that helps Clare

stuffitunderthebed Tue 23-Oct-12 15:22:41

Viviennemary Tue 23-Oct-12 15:26:16

Couldnt you get a futon or sofa bed instead of the double bed. (Not sure if they are one and the same!) If you don't have guests very often that would save quite a lot of space. No harm in decluttering some of the clothes but I'd think twice about getting rid of storage units if you have lots and lots of 'stuff'. I see you already have. Well done.

BeingBooyhoo Tue 23-Oct-12 15:37:27

is it rarely used as a guest bedroom because it's so packed? do you hold off on inviting people to stay because you know you will have to tackle the clutter?

IMO decluttering is it's own reward. if there is so much stuff in the room it's packed to the rafters then you aren't getting the benefit of the stuff are you?

here's what i would do.

when you wear an item, return it to your bedroom. do this with all items you take off/wash. when you are choosing what to wear in the morning, look through what you have in your room first. if you really can't make an outfit, go to the spare room and choose something and then keep those things in your room from now on. this will give you a basic idea of what you are actually using/wearing in your normal life.

alongside this, i would tackle one wardrobe at a time, being ruthless (and honest) about what you actually will wear within a year. everything you are deciding to keep, move it to your room DO NOT keep it in the spare room or you wont ever wear it. get rid of everything you know you wont wear. if you end up not being able to function in your own room for lack of space, then you need to go through the stuff again and be ruthless again. seasonal stuff can be vacuum packed and stored under beds/on top of wardrobes/in the roofspace etc but dont put anything back in the spare room until you have gotten rid of everything that's not going to be used. only then can you re-hang all the stuff you are going to wear in the spare room and use it as a walk-in wardrobe.

stuffitunderthebed Wed 24-Oct-12 12:25:43

ClareMarriott Wed 24-Oct-12 15:27:06

Tax returns I would say about 6/7 years ( check with someone first though as it might be longer ) and mortgage /house stuff about 2/3 years Great things are getting sorted out quickly !

BeingBooyhoo Wed 24-Oct-12 19:27:40

glad you got it sorted OP!

i really need to tackle the corner of my bedroom. we moved a few months ago and have gone from having a decent sized roofspace and spare room to having a tiny roofspace and no spare room. i have loads of stuff i need to sell but just haven't got round to sorting through it all. there just always seems to be other stuff that's higher priority. like MNing i might grab box tonight and just stick it all on ebay.

stuffitunderthebed Wed 24-Oct-12 22:16:03

BeingBooyhoo Wed 24-Oct-12 23:55:14

would it be worth getting a small filing cabinet for your tax returns/financial docs/mortgage papers etc?

stuffitunderthebed Thu 25-Oct-12 10:06:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now