Talk

Advanced search

How to get a white karate suit REALLY white

(12 Posts)
girlynut Mon 22-Oct-12 17:41:17

I'm rubbish at laundry. I discovered today that washing everything at 30 degrees in an attempt to save the planet does not get my kids' clothes clean.

So, given that DS's karate suit looks more grey than white, what would you suggest? I currently wash whites separately at 30 with Fairy non-bio. Should I just make it a hotter wash? Bleach? Vanish? Soaking? Boiling?!

Labootin Mon 22-Oct-12 17:44:43

tippex

Apply liberally

..it may make the suit slighty more difficult to move in which means your child gets a bonus extra muscle toning workout

Win win

poppyboo Mon 22-Oct-12 18:06:25

Soda crystals in with your normal washing detergent.

Wolfiefan Mon 22-Oct-12 18:09:49

My DS has slightly grey TKD clothes. (Proper word!?) it has bright lettering on. What can I use that won't make the red lettering turn the suit pink?!

Labootin Mon 22-Oct-12 18:13:05

Cover the entire suit in clear nail varnish

Added bonus it will be waterproof and repel stains

Failing that use a red lipliner and liberal use of lipcote on the red lettering .. But watch for staining.

amazonianwoman Mon 22-Oct-12 18:29:00

Bio detergent (unless they have eczema I guess, we're a tough skinned family!), wash at no less than 40 degrees, and add soda crystals (my new fave product)

PigletJohn Mon 22-Oct-12 21:16:51

it is probably coarse cotton, in which case it will benefit from a hot hot hot wash. Do not wash whites with coloured things, even pale ones.

White Cotton (and washing machines) get cleaner from an occasional 80C or 90C hot wash. If you have not done a service wash on your machine recently, do that first, so that the dirty sludge that will dissolve in the hot water does not make the suit even dirtier. You can do a service wash on maximum heat with no powder or softener, and a cup of washing soda if you have it. If the water goes grey and foamy that is the old sludge washing out, do it again until the water stays clean.

PigletJohn Mon 22-Oct-12 21:17:42

^
that was for the karate suit

picturesinthefirelight Mon 22-Oct-12 21:21:45

I always wash whites on 60 degree was with a scoop if vanish in with the washing powder.

Very occasionally if something is really dirty I use 90 degree wash. Ds tkd suit is still very white as are his school shirts.

frasersmummy Mon 22-Oct-12 21:24:19

I use vanish bleach on ds's white karate suit.. rub some into the suit and then pour a capful into the drum on top of the suit

wash at 90 degrees.. voila snow white

dikkertjedap Mon 22-Oct-12 22:46:08

Oxy Vanish for whites together with a generous scoop of good quality (Ariel, DAZ) POWDER detergent at every wash.

ItsMeYourCathy Mon 22-Oct-12 22:48:05

I frequently managed to get fake tan stains, blood etc out of my karate gi with a 40 wash and a scoop of oxi in with my detergent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now