Talk

Advanced search

Rangemasters

(17 Posts)
showmethemummy Mon 22-Oct-12 16:44:26

i'm sorry - yet another thread, but have read through many and still don't really know...

i was about to buy the rangemaster kitchener 90, but am having doubts mainly because i can't see the difference between it, and the toledo 90 or the professional plus 90.

also - I don't like the handy rack and wonder whether the grill oven is too small... i can't go any bigger than a 90 though.

have looked at stoves ones and worry about quality /durability. also prefer the look of the rangemasters.

can anyone help me decide please...? thanks

amazonianwoman Mon 22-Oct-12 18:33:18

What's your budget? Falcon ranges are beautiful but more expensive. I'm trying to convince DH that our ancient cruddy Newhome range (at least 15 years old) "needs" to be replaced with a lovely shiny new Falcon grin

amazonianwoman Mon 22-Oct-12 18:35:28

But if I was going for a Rangemaster I'd chose the professional from your list. Or preferably the Elise but don't think that comes in 900mm?

ClaraDeLaNoche Mon 22-Oct-12 18:38:52

I have the Rangemaster Kitchener 90. Like you, I was limited in space. I really like it and it looks great. Plenty of oven room, and we got a flat griddle thing which is great. The only thing I don't like about it is the grill, it is either too hot or not hot enough. I think the grill pan is too close to the heat, so I sometimes have to balance the grill pan on something else. But I don't seem to use the grill a lot. Probably because I am a lazy sod and it won't fit in the dw.

fossil97 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:39:43

IME the handyrack is pretty handy. But you can un-clip it if you don't want to use it.

I have changed from a old big rangemaster to a Stoves sterling 60 (both all-gas). I would say the Rangemaster although I didn't like its layout it was a much better built cooker, which is disappointing because Stoves do come highly recommended. The gas is hard to light, the top oven barely works and the bottom oven seems to invent its own temperature. And if you've used the oven, a silly little fan comes on to keep the fascia cool - design fault I think!

It's hard to tell though because I suspect manufacturers have cheapened their products over the last 10 years, so a comparison with an older model might not be fair.

showmethemummy Mon 22-Oct-12 18:49:19

thanks very much - my budget is probably £1500max (i'm buying a fridge at the same time - new house furb).
interesting comments re handyrack and griddle. I know that I never use 'extra' bits that come with appliances mainly because i'm too lazy / arrogant to read the manual... that's also why i didn't want to go down the multifunction oven route because i suspect i wouldn't ever figure out what's best to use for what.
any other comments highly welcome. smile

showmethemummy Mon 22-Oct-12 18:52:30

sorry fossil why didn't you like the layout of your old rangemaster?

also what did ya'll think of the professional +fx 90?

amazonianwoman Mon 22-Oct-12 20:39:05

Is that the big single oven one? If so, yes it looks good, nice & streamlined smile Also available with induction hob, which is meant to be fab, even better than gas.

I have 2 ovens now (range is 110cm) but don't often use the second oven (and I cook from scratch every day, love baking etc). When I do use both ovens it's usually to fit in eg extra pizzas or roast potatoes so one oven would do the job nicely.

showmethemummy Mon 22-Oct-12 20:52:17

*amazonian *yes - one oven becomes two... looks very modern and slick though and i think i prefer the more farmhouse look of the others but really not sure!! also i wonder whether having one door on two ovens is a bit ... well errr - silly? definitely going dual fuel as a) love gas cooking and b) really can't afford to replace my pans...

sigh. i really must decide and stop catching up on strictly

fossil97 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:10:51

Oh it was one of the 1990s RM models: 110cm wide, blue paint, four gas burners, a rather ineffectual griddling plate and warming zone. Nothing wrong with the ovens, the grill was a bit uneven like all gas grills but had plenty of oomph.

The thing is I do like baking but very rarely to the point I needed both ovens, it ended up being his and hers ovens with me normally using the handy rack one (it will take a big Le Creuset pot). I was only using four burners, one and a bit ovens and a grill, so I went for a 60cm cooker, and all-gas because I'd got on fine with the RM as an all-gas. And gained another 50cm cupboard.

I might have been a bit harsh on the Stoves but just haven't really got used to it, it has that thing where you have to hold the knob in for 10 seconds for a burner to stay lit - maybe that's a safety feature but is blimmin annoying.

I very nearly went for the Leisure mini range just to have the handyrack actually, but it seemed a bit plasticky in the shop.

fossil97 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:12:21

I have to say I decided against a single cavity oven because I do quite cook fish fingers & oven chips with the oven and grill at the same time grin

fossil97 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:12:39

quite OFTEN cook

amazonianwoman Mon 22-Oct-12 21:29:47

Fossil your old blue one sounds just like the blue one I have now with the griddle section (never used) and the warmer (ditto). I inherited it with the house and assumed it was a Newhomes one - ALL the labels have worn off!

showmethemummy Tue 23-Oct-12 07:40:54

ok... thanks so much for all your posts.

i don't know why i'm in such decision making limbo, especially as i thought i had this one sewn up weeks ago confused.

can i therefore have votes please? it's either the kitchener 90 or the classic 90 both in black/chrome.

the classic became a factor when i realised the second oven is much bigger than the one on the kitchener. also it comes with the griddle , which i now like <fickle>

blergh... finding this move rather overwhelming at the moment...

fossil97 Tue 23-Oct-12 08:28:03

They seem to have exactly the same ovens - I strongly suspect they are the same cooker with slightly different doors and trims. Just go for the one with the styling you like, I prefer the kitchener.

You can almost certainly buy the griddle as a spare/extra.

amazonianwoman Tue 23-Oct-12 09:03:48

I prefer the look of the Kitchener

showmethemummy Tue 23-Oct-12 09:14:54

thank you- honestly you've saved me another few hours of fretful internet surfing! Kitchener it is. That was my original instinct and i think dh would go for that one too ( he's in a different time zone at the moment - literally!!)

thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now