Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone bought and fitted blinds from Hillarys ?

(16 Posts)
Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 14:39:25

Just had them round and been quoted hundreds of pounds! Is this reasonable ? I need to fit new blinds in the house, there seems to be so much on offer i dont know which one is which.

Ive just seen another company on line that provides the material but doesnt fit them, i knoe bugger all about sewing or fitting curtains it just seems like a minefield!

Please dear Mners any advice before i shell out nearly a tnousand pounds to hillary's.

Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 14:55:15

Bump. Please please anyone ? Are they good value for money ?

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Mon 22-Oct-12 15:02:35

You don't need to do this. Measure the window, then buy one from B&Q. The instructions are in the box.

Mendeleyev Mon 22-Oct-12 15:04:14

Look out for local firms too. They can be very good value. We had 8 blinds fitted and made for £450.

Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 15:36:54

Ladymary - i just dont get instructions sad, id get it straight away if i watched someone doing it, but reading how to do it just gets all muddled up in my brain.

Mendeleyev - that sounds not too far from what i was quoted for 4 windows tnough, i might try and check locally.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Mon 22-Oct-12 16:04:14

Buy them, then get a local handyman to fit them for you. You'll save £££.

Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 16:14:11

But how is that different to Hillary's though, they also get a local man to bring samples round and fix the curtains or am i missing something ?

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 22-Oct-12 17:03:51

If you get it from watching someone, have you tried searching u

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 22-Oct-12 17:05:30

Oops.... Have you tried searching YouTube for instruction videos? There seems to be videos of all sorts of handiwork there, so there may well be someone putting up blinds.

Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 17:11:43

Crunchingautumleaves - hmm! Like the NN. Thats a good idea i'll check on youtube.

thequietone Mon 22-Oct-12 17:15:19

I bought 4 wooden made to measure venetian blinds from Hillarys, but rather than opt for them to measure up, just did it myself. I then got a builder who was decorating the room at the time to fit them.

He'd not installed them before but said it was easy with the instructions. Hillary's were also incredibly helpful with my questions before buying. I guess it depends on what type of blinds you're getting, but this ended up being a far cheaper and easy option.

Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 17:19:56

Thequietone - just to clarify, do you mean you just bought the material ? And got someone else to fit them ? Im not sure what you mean by "measure up" orare you talking about "measuring the windows" ? They do that for free dont they ? Im looking at roman blinds.

SunshinePanda Mon 22-Oct-12 19:59:25

Have used Hillarys for Roman blinds before. Currently have one in our bedroom. Was expensive but looks fantastic. Think with a Roman blnd it needs to be top quality and expertly fitted to hang exactly right. Have wooden Venetian blinds downstairs from Dunelm that DH cut to size and fitted. Think it best to spend on some items and decide carefully is it worth it for that room if not choose a different type maybe.

Thelobsterswife Mon 22-Oct-12 20:03:55

We used a local firm. The guy who came round had all the same books as Hillarys, but said he was about 40% cheaper. He said they all bought from similar manufacturers, but Hillarys have a huge mark up due to high street presence. When chatting to friends who used Hillarys and compared prices, I think he was being truthful. We had all the blinds made and fitted for our three bed semi for less than £500.

fussychica Tue 23-Oct-12 14:01:56

Bought all my blinds online from www.blindsuk.net
Very pleased - saved hundreds against the quotes I was given. Dead easy to fit yourself - just make sure you follow the measuring instructions to the letter.

Gunznroses Tue 23-Oct-12 16:14:05

Oh my God! Just got back from local firm, they're even ,ore expensive than Hillary's shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now