Talk

Advanced search

Should I pay and fix my Siemens washing machine?

(23 Posts)
WentworthMillerMad Sun 21-Oct-12 21:22:41

Hi - I bought this beauty about 7 years ago and it is used often! I paid £500 ish for it and it has never let me down. Today it failed to spin and empty but I did manage to reset and open the door. Water sloshing around in machine and had to drip dry on the line.
I can start a cycle fine. Won't spin or empty.
Is it worth a repair? Do I contact siemens direct? Thanks!

My lovely neighbour is helping me out til I repair / buy a new one?

Ponders Sun 21-Oct-12 21:27:02

depends what it is - could just be the pump if it won't do either

I'm saying "just", no idea how much but as a good machine which was expensive in the first place, it's probably worth it.

Ring Siemens & see what they'd charge for coming out; you could try a local repairer too, they usually have either a minimum fee or a call-out charge (either way you have to pay it even if you decide not to have the repair)

Ponders Sun 21-Oct-12 21:41:52

if you drain the machine - there's usually a flap at the bottom on the front, & you can pull the hose forward & empty it into a container - will it spin then?

FiveFlowers Sun 21-Oct-12 21:57:17

I've just had my Siemens tumble dryer repaired under guarantee. It's less than two years old and needed a new drum hmm.

The repair man said I would have been charged £89 for a call-out shock

LittleFriendSusan Sun 21-Oct-12 22:15:42

My Bosch is about the same age and used every day. We'd had no problems with it until this year.

We had the same issue as you a few months back. We checked the filters etc first, it was all clogged up with limescale and the pump had broken. We ordered a replacement online and DP fitted it, it cost about £20 or so for the part?

Then a few weeks back the drum wouldn't turn at all (it did drain though) - we had a local repair bloke come out. This time it was the carbon brushes on the motor and cost £90-ish inc. labour. They did say it wouldn't be worth doing on a cheaper washer, but reckoned we'd get a few more years out of ours yet.

My point anyway grin - I would get someone out to look at it, if it's the same thing as ours it probably still has a few years in it!

PigletJohn Sun 21-Oct-12 22:25:58

Siemens household appliances are designed and made by BSH, which is a company jointly owned by Bosch and Siemens. Siemens tend to be a bit more upmarket. I'm pretty sure it is the same repair network. They might offer you a fixed-price repair or a repair-with-12-months-service-contract which can be a good buy if you are anxious about having a spate of faults.

A new one would cost you upwards of £500 depending on model, no doubt it would be more modern and economical than your old one. John Lewis have some discount/cashback deals on, and I got a "trade-in" offer for my new Siemens FF from them. The build-in integrated are more expensive than the free-standing but no better.

They are a pretty good brand and generally last more than ten years. Usually similar to the mid and high-end Bosch.

thenightsky Sun 21-Oct-12 22:26:56

Our Bosch wouldn't finish a cycle recently... stuck on 1 min left for an hour.

DH looked on line and bought insurance... even though it is 6 years old.

Fixed for price of one month's insurance.

PigletJohn Sun 21-Oct-12 22:29:53

p.s.

you have, of course, cleaned and emptied the pump filter?

WentworthMillerMad Mon 22-Oct-12 14:55:03

thanks everyone, Piglet I have done NOTHING! No idea how I would clean and empty a filter but am about to look online!

PigletJohn Mon 22-Oct-12 21:11:22

hello, have you found it yet?

I think the instruction book is in that drawer where you keep the dried-up biros, rubber bands, old bus tickets and bottle-openers.

If you can't find it, there is usually a screw-out plastic cap behind the kickplate of the machine, usually bottom right. It may be very tight if not opened in seven years, try a pair of rubber gloves for good grip. Disconnect from the power first.

Your machine may have a small rubber tube next to the filter, which you can pull out a bit to drain the water out of the tub into a bowl on the floor. Otherwise, water will gush out when you undo the cap of the pump filter. Poke your fingers in to withdraw the shredded socks, broken bra-wires, and £2.55 in small coins. Once cleared, you will probably find you can turn the pump impellor with your fingers. It will move in jerks due to the magnets in the motor.

This job is part of keeping the machine clean so it ought to have been done at least once a year. If you happen to have any silicone grease, you can clean and grease the thread and washer of the cap before reassembling.

WentworthMillerMad Tue 23-Oct-12 18:13:21

Ah next to the burnt match, old birthday candles and sewing kit!

Thanks so much - will attempt this tonight!
Do you write a blog piglet? If not you should!

WentworthMillerMad Wed 24-Oct-12 20:19:36

Hi piglet - you still around?

Found the booklet - removed the small hose - no water has escaped.
Have located the pump but pump handle / cap is well an truly stuck. Have used pliars, rubber gloves, DH and now WD40 which I will let soak overnight!

If all else fails is it worth buying a new pump?

ChippyMinton Wed 24-Oct-12 20:23:13

Carbon brushes are worth a try - just replaced those on my Bosch.

Have a look on youtube for washing machine repairs videos and by spare parts from espares website. You'll also need the special screwdrivers (with the start shaped ends0 but they sell those too,

PigletJohn Wed 24-Oct-12 23:40:47

I had to undo my mum's pump filter, I used a pair of mole grips (the cap broke slightly coming out, but I was able to screw it back in after cleaning and a new one only cost about a fiver).

Because the cap is waterproof, it is unlikely that WD40 will get inside.

If you have thing for undoing tight jam jar lids, it might help.

A new cap for £5 is better than a new pump for £80, so worth a try.

Carbon brushes would tend to mean the motor does not run, which you did not mention.

Have you asked Siemens yet if they have a fixed-price repair?

WentworthMillerMad Thu 25-Oct-12 07:10:12

Thanks everyone. Siemens say £89 a visit plus the part and 'even if it's not fixe it's still £89! Or 14.99 a month for a year with Dom gen - this gives 3 year guarantee.

Will get a mole grip today from the technology department in school. Am very sure an item is caught in the cap seal and that's why it won't open....

Have also found a local washing machine repair company on gum tree that chare £29 flat few plus the part. May call them after the mole grip - if we can't do it!

maxmillie Thu 25-Oct-12 10:16:25

Just to say I have a Siemens washing machine and tumble drier that are 9 years old. Both still going strong and used almost every day. The washing machine is always making a horrible grinding noise and refusing to drain. As Piglet said, evertime this has hapenned (about 5 times) it is because the outlet pipe or filter were blocked - Lego, sock, bra wire and, most recently, one of DSs stones taht was jamming the motor filter. I actually called Siemens out for this one as it was the day after I had ds3 and I was almost in tears at the pile of washing rapidly building up. My machine had come with a 10 year guarantee so he came and removed the stone for free! (I was convinced the motor had gone but he said it it much nosier when that happens)

Anyway, I think it is worth perservering and trying to open it and clear all debris out of the pipe and filter - they seem to be pretty hardy and worth keeping it running.

Madmog Thu 25-Oct-12 11:15:05

We replaced our old Indesit washing machine two years ago. I was proud to tell the new washing installer that my old Indesit had lasted 16 years and that's why I had chosen another, despite the fact they are at the cheaper end of the market. His reaction to that was, it doesn't matter whether the machine is cheap or expensive they last about five years! I guess this is the point when they break down and you don't know the expected cost.

We have called a repairman out for our fridge/freezer and cooker. The call out fee was £35 so you've got that before you start. The cooker cost £90 to repair, luckily the fridge/freezer had just frozen up with being on the north elevation during temperatures of minus 12c outside, so we only had a call out fee.

I'm waffling as usual, but I hope something here helps.

PigletJohn Thu 25-Oct-12 12:34:03

If you can get a 3year warranty for £180, I would be tempted to take it, rather than buy a new one, provided you are sure it will cover all parts and labour for whatever the problem is. Siemens are pretty good machines

Definitely have a go at taking the filter cap off first though as it might be a simple blockage.

OOI it was after cracking the filter cap on my mum's Bosch that it got another problem, and I went for their "repair and one year's service" offer as I had got water on the electronics when I turned it upside down to clear the pump hose blush and was fed up with the risk of more faults and more costs. In that case they fitted a new pump and a new PCB, so I am confident she got her money's worth.

ChippyMinton Thu 25-Oct-12 16:04:30

pigletjohn - just to clarify - before replacing the carbon brushes, the motor did run but would not turn the drum.

WentworthMillerMad Thu 25-Oct-12 21:01:33

Update!
Got hold of a mole grip and attached and turned pump cap, entire handle pulled away and punctured hole in the centre. Water gushed out!
Machine now empty of water but cap still secure! Can't now attach mole grip as no handle. Darn it!
Think I will contact siemens! Thanks everyone

PigletJohn Fri 26-Oct-12 00:00:43

sad

if you aren't ready to throw in the towel yet, you could see if you can get a cheap local person in to remove the remains of the cap for you. If you find a bad blockage you could just fit a new cap and see if that cures it. Look here

But I should think you are getting fed up by now and ready to get Siemens in. I found the "repair and service contract" worked out as good value.

PigletJohn Fri 26-Oct-12 00:06:29

mine was like this or your might be this many parts are common to Bosch and Siemens appliances.

I was a bit luckier than you as I just cracked a bit off the handle bar thing in the middle.

WentworthMillerMad Sun 28-Oct-12 09:53:57

Thanks - local guy was £29 plus £79.99 for the new pump if the cap couldn't come off.
Have bit the bullet and gone with Siemens £14 a month for a year. All parts guaranteed for a year etc etc . Engineer arrives Friday. No fix = no fee!
After a year I can cluster 3 appliances for £14 - same deal.
My tumble is 7 years old, as is my dishwasher so may well go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now