Talk

Advanced search

Storing toys in bedrooms

(8 Posts)
ApuskiMcClusky Sat 20-Oct-12 09:18:34

We are about to move from a house with tiny bedrooms for my two ds's and decent space downstairs, to the opposite - big bedrooms each but more limited space downstairs. At the moment all toys are kept downstairs, but I think practically it makes sense to move them upstairs when we move.

But I am wondering how much they'll want to play upstairs anyway (ds1 is 5, ds2 is 2), and whether everything ends up downstairs. Also a big positive of the toys being downstairs is that they haven't really got a fixed notion of which toys belong to who - they are (generally) happy to share. I'd have to split the toys up between them if they were going into the bedrooms, and they may not share so readily.

How does upstairs v downstairs toy storage work for you?

issimma Sat 20-Oct-12 09:57:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bobblehead Mon 22-Oct-12 19:04:42

I bought trofast storage for the rooms so the kids bring the bins through and at the end of the day it can easily be tidied up and returned to the bedrooms. As everything is stored according to sets (e.g all lego together/playmobil/little people) they aren't split up according to who owns them, just sort of randomly stored. So far no fights as even the kids see the logic (for now....)

Lavenderhoney Tue 23-Oct-12 18:28:59

My dc are around the same age. They keep their toys in their bedroom, in a toy cupboard, toy box without a lid due to finger bashing and getting stuck - and if they bring toys downstairs at the end of the day at tidy time it all goes in a box at e bottom of the stairs and we take it up. Bedrooms are tidy at bedtime- its easy as puzzles go in puzzle drawer etc etc. dc like it, and I help as they like to race each other.

Big toys with wheels stay downstairs for fear of falling downstairs, outdoor toys in the shed/ garage.

The only things that are downstairs otherwise is the craft box with crayons, paints p, glitter, scissors etc which lives out of reach in th laundry room and must be supervisedsmile

overmydeadbody Tue 23-Oct-12 19:39:38

Do a setup like lavenderhoney's.

When we lived in a house (we live in a flat now) all of DS's toys were kept in his room upstairs, apart from one wooden chest with a lid that held toys in the sitting room. Any of his toys could be in here, but mostly he or I would bring toys downstairs to play with and take them back up at night, but mostly he played in his room upstairs.

Now we're in a flat, no toys live in the sitting room, but DS can play in there with them as long as he tidies them up as soon as he's done (not at the end of the day but sooner in most cases, I don't like toys being left lying around).

Mum2Fergus Tue 23-Oct-12 20:44:25

Im clearly bad Mummy here lol I dont allow toys in bedroom, downstairs only. Bedroom is for sleeptime not playtime. Same in my room, no TV, iPad,etc.

Lavenderhoney Fri 26-Oct-12 10:34:03

Mum2fergus, toys live in bedrooms now they are a bit older and can play when they wake up, plus if anyone wants to watch tv the others can have quiet time in their room. I don't think you are a bad mummy! We don't have tv or computers in bedrooms - although I have a massive bookcase in mine- dc have one each too, in their roomssmile

KnickersOnOnesHead Sun 28-Oct-12 19:28:04

All toys in bedroom, and have been since the dc's (5 and 4) were old enough to play upstairs properly. Toys do come downstairs but are then taken back up before bedtime. Most of their books are in the living room on the bookcases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now