Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting smell of bo out of dh's shirts

(12 Posts)
Nicknamenotavailableeither Fri 19-Oct-12 08:46:35

Now, I really don't think he smells normally, however, I just got some washing out the machine and one shirt STINKS of bo!

Obviously I have googled this, and I have got various answers, but, what do you lovely mners think? I would preferably like to use stuff I have at home, rather than buying a specific product.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 19-Oct-12 08:49:14

oBicarb of soda mixed into a watery gloop. Scrub it in to smelly bits, leave for an hour or two. Then wash.

Nicknamenotavailableeither Fri 19-Oct-12 09:12:53

Thanks Viva. I had seen this mentioned, but wasn't sure if it actually worked.

mummytime Fri 19-Oct-12 09:19:57

I use white vinegar, especially on the smelly bits. Then re-wash.

GreeenFingers Fri 19-Oct-12 09:29:59

Washing powders 'aint what they used to be are they? I'd try the bicarb treatment myself. In future rub the underarms with old fashioned green washing soap, it really boosts the cleaning power.Do the same with collars and grubby cuffs. Years ago I only used fairy detergent and I can honestly say my washing always came out clean and fresh.

ethelb Fri 19-Oct-12 10:54:52

add white viengar to fabric conditioner drawer. I am in awe of how well this works since I started using it. Plus a pot of bicarb in the wardrobe.

steppemum Fri 19-Oct-12 11:00:13

I think it is the low temp washing powders actually.

try putting washing on pre-wash (can't do that on my machine as it is 2 hour cycle hmm Failing that pre-soak them
try upping temp. wash shirts on 50 or 60.

PigletJohn Fri 19-Oct-12 11:58:25

what's the shirt made of? Synthetic shirts are worse than high-cotton ones.

agree with steppemum about the higher temp.

Was the shirt worn for more than one day, or was he physically active?

Nicknamenotavailableeither Fri 19-Oct-12 12:10:46

Thanks for the replies!

Piglet: shirt is 99% cotton which surprised me too... He only wore it once before it went in the machine, am v baffled about it tbh as this is not normally a problem. I would definitely let dh know of he stunk like this! Not nice, but fingers crossed your kind tips work.

mummytime Fri 19-Oct-12 14:30:51

Maybe he spent that day in a particularly hot office? Or was under a lot of stress? Or had to dash about?

I have teenagers, and it is so annoying when I've washed someones stuff and it comes out smelly, but vinegar and another wash do seem to work.

GreeenFingers Fri 19-Oct-12 14:42:34

To kill bacteria ,clothes and bedding need to be washed at 60 degrees or above, but this isn't always practical especially with coloureds. If the shirts ar cotton and white, put them on with flannels and other things that need a good boiling.

becks5109 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:29:04

put some napisan in with the washing powder/liquid - works a treat. I have to use it on smelly gym kit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now