Talk

Advanced search

Hand wash or dry clean 100% silk?

(6 Posts)
lollystix Fri 19-Oct-12 07:07:02

Just bought 100% silk blouse. Says dry clean only but do I really have to? I remember my mum hand washing silk. Will I ruin it?

mrsfuzzy Fri 19-Oct-12 09:16:46

personally i'd dry clean it, wouldn't risk it.

Gipfeli Fri 19-Oct-12 09:24:17

I put mine in the maschine (on a very gentle wash, low spin and low temperature - there's a "silk" program on mine).

Most important thing if you wash it is to use a special detergent designed for delicate fabrics (like Woolite for example) rather than your bog standard tough washing powder.

GreeenFingers Fri 19-Oct-12 09:32:10

Depends on the type of silk. Is it dupion??Does it have coloured embroidery? If so def dry clean,otherwise woolite or similar and handwash. You can't put the machine on for one garment.

lollystix Fri 19-Oct-12 10:07:58

just says 100% silk dryclean only. It's patterened and dark though so I think I might risk it. I googled and it said I needed to iron when damp to avoid stains.

RatherContrary Fri 19-Oct-12 20:38:10

I've done this once; risked hand washing a beautiful 100% silk blouse and forever regretted the large waterstains that were left down one side. I totally ruined it and was very conscious of the marks every time I wore it (which I had to do, having spent so much on it, and ruining it through my own stupid actions). Be v careful if you do decide to wash!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now