Talk

Advanced search

Droplets of water on back wall of fridge

(4 Posts)
WillSingForCake Wed 17-Oct-12 18:23:19

Inside our fridge there's droplets of water all over the back wall, so anything at the back of the shelves gets wet. I googled it, and the general advice was to clean out the condensation hole using a cotton-bud. I've done this & it made no difference. Anyone got any other ideas of how to stop it?

RottenLuck Wed 17-Oct-12 20:32:16

Isn't it part of how these new frost free fridges work? Sorry can't remember the details but ours is the same. I just have to make sure I don't shove everything right onto the back wall.

PigletJohn Wed 17-Oct-12 23:55:56

it is quite normal.

the back wall will from time to time be covered in frost, then it will melt into water droplets, then it will run down into the gutter and be passed through the drainage pipe into the evaporation dish on top of the motor.

If you think there is something wrong, you can unplug it, pull it away from the wall, inspect the dish to verify that water is draining into it, and clean out the fluff, grime and mould that you will find. Be careful not to let water splash onto any electrical part.

fridge shelves usually have a ledge at the back to prevent things being pushed against the back wall. If you interfere with the drainage, there will be more moisture in the fridge, so more frost.

WillSingForCake Thu 18-Oct-12 10:31:51

Ah, I see! We've just moved and as the fridge in our last house didn't have droplets I thought it must be a fault when I saw this one did.

Thanks for letting me know it's normal, would've been embarrassing if I'd tried to get someone out to 'repair' it blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now