Talk

Advanced search

Cheap, good storage for child's bedroom?

(21 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 16-Oct-12 22:48:39

I really need to sort out DS's bedroom, all of his toys are still in random boxes around the edges of his room, he has a lovely chest of drawers for his clothes, but all of his books are just piled on top of this! blush He's 4 and I'm quite sad that I haven't got around to sorting anything out yet. Plus although I keep pruning out the baby books, the number of books he has keeps growing and books are forever sliding off onto my feet, usually, but one day it will be his head shock

He has a lot of large picture books so I don't know that a traditional bookcase will work well for him, but it seems a bit pointless now to get one of those front-facing book sling type things - I wish I'd thought of that when he was younger. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Also anything I get needs to be fairly cheap because we're potentially emigrating next year, so I don't want to spend loads of money and then have to leave it all behind. There are a few good second hand furniture shops around here but every time I go in, I have no clear idea of what I'm looking for and end up coming out with nothing.

Any ideas?

BertieBotts Wed 17-Oct-12 12:39:53

Bump

bran Wed 17-Oct-12 12:47:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

orangina Wed 17-Oct-12 12:58:15

Ikea is your friend.

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 17-Oct-12 13:09:34

Yes to Ikea.

Trofast storage system is great and will eBay well when time comes to sell up.
Or you could buy it from eBay in the first place.

Expedit is also great from Ikea.

BertieBotts Wed 17-Oct-12 13:11:37

I was afraid of ikea being the only recommendation grin I don't have a car and they charge courier prices for delivery I believe. Will keep an eye on ebay, though.

bran Wed 17-Oct-12 13:42:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fanoftheinvisibleman Wed 17-Oct-12 13:52:09

There's loads of trofast on ebay. And the good thing there is you will likely get back what you pay if you sell it.

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 17-Oct-12 14:20:34

Vertbaudet has nice stuff too. But I only buy in the sale.

I got a little blue book case can also be used for small toy storage if you buy the boxes that go on it. Wouldn't have bought it full price though.

ShabbyChit Wed 17-Oct-12 14:39:13

Is it just storage for books you are after?

How about something like this
or this would be super cheap and easy - just a visit to B&Q needed!

Both would be very cheap to do, both on the wall so would free up floor space and the second one could be organised as required for the larger books!

WillSingForCake Wed 17-Oct-12 15:05:06

I agree with MaryPoppins that Verbaudet has nice storage solutions. We've bought some of their shelves, with matching storage boxes. Don't pay full price though, they always have good discount codes kicking around, usually 30% off & free delivery.

YerMaw1989 Wed 17-Oct-12 15:06:52

Matalan , got some nice bright really good ones.

BertieBotts Wed 17-Oct-12 16:29:23

Oh wow, I love the gutter one!

I bought some from Argos this afternoon. It's not often I'm in a doing mood!

I got this:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6093925.htm

And this:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6092067.htm

And then I'll measure the inside of the square one and if they fit I'll probable get the green ones of these to go inside smile

BertieBotts Wed 17-Oct-12 16:30:22

There's no ikea stuff near me on ebay at the moment, either. Annoying!

DuelingFanjo Wed 17-Oct-12 16:42:01

if you can get to an Ikea then one of these is brill. Put your boxes in there or alternatively go to Dunelm and buy theirs.

Ragwort Wed 17-Oct-12 16:48:47

We had furniture delivered from Ikea and the charge isn't too expensive, esp. when you consider how reasonly priced Ikea stuff is.

Then we had to pay someone to assemble it all. grin.

leeloo1 Wed 17-Oct-12 18:16:57

I bought two of these for DS' 4 million picture books (they were in the sale for £22ish, but there are always offer codes for gltc around).

They've been great. DS' books always annoyed me, as however I organised them they kept slumping to one side as soon as you moved one. Now they're all supported by the high sides! No more slumping! Hurrah! grin

<one tiny corner of home organised... now I just need to do the rest of it emoticon!>

ShabbyChit Thu 18-Oct-12 11:33:08

just found another idea here using £3 spice racks from Ikea!

Edofthe13prams Thu 18-Oct-12 11:36:08

We have a huge second hand bookcase for their books...and for other toys, they have a couple of Argos metal shelf units - the sort they sell for garages - and plastic boxes stacked on the shelves.
Pretty cheap especially compared to Ikea (which is nicer, but ££)

I still despair though, their room is about 9x6 with bunks and the toys are overflowing. God help us when ds3 arrives.

Edofthe13prams Thu 18-Oct-12 11:37:15

Oh and in the living room we have big flexi tubs in various colours - about 3 of them - also stuffed with toys.

Lego has its own room in the cellar,

playmobil is stored in a giant wooden packing crate. Like a thicker version of a tea chest with a hinged lid.

jenduck Fri 19-Oct-12 18:36:20

Lidl have got some lovely bits of children's furniture coming up for sale from next week www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=35391

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now