Talk

Advanced search

Help, oven pride on stainless steel...

(14 Posts)
SalagadooLamagicaboo Tue 16-Oct-12 16:27:17

I was feeling like it was time to clean our oven...I now wish I hadn't...

it is an integrated oven and below the oven there is a part in stainless steel,

You guessed it, oven pride dripped on it and it is now stained, anyway I can get it back to a uniform color?

Thanks

mrscumberbatch Tue 16-Oct-12 16:30:22

I didn't know it didn't work on Stainless Steel.

Marking a place hoping that somebody will have an answer!

MrsBucketxx Tue 16-Oct-12 16:31:01

watching this, i have done the same thing and its there permenantly just looking at me aaarrrggghh

Chopstheduck Tue 16-Oct-12 16:32:11

I don't think so sad Apparently most stainless steel is now made out of cheaper materials and that does happen.

Check the bottle though. I bought Lakeland oven cleaner which clearly stated on the box that it was suitable for stainless steel. It then ruined both my oven handles and I got a cheque from them to replace them.

SalagadooLamagicaboo Tue 16-Oct-12 17:03:09

I sent Oven pride customer service an email, let's see what comes out of it. sad

blanchedevereaux Tue 16-Oct-12 17:39:36

Use baby oil, will bring the sheen back.

SalagadooLamagicaboo Tue 16-Oct-12 18:39:32

Just ran upstairs and tried baby oil...

sad to report, it doesn't work...

it looks like it has been bleached sad

MrsBucketxx Tue 16-Oct-12 19:26:12

no oil doesnt work i tried before. wasnt much i didnt try.

PigletJohn Tue 16-Oct-12 20:34:19

I have a feeling that it might have been an aluminium part. Caustic cleaners will corrode aluminium alloys.

If it really is stainless steel (test it with a magnet) then you can restore the surface shine with a green nylon pan scourer, or if very marked, a brillo pad.

trumpton Tue 16-Oct-12 22:22:21

I did it to my oven handle too . But luckily only a little bit .

blanchedevereaux Wed 17-Oct-12 09:30:30

OK, if baby oil didn't work you can try an automotive product called Autosol metal polish. You will need to give to scrub it gently for a while, using a very fine plastic brillo pad (try and get an automotive one, rather than a kitchen one). It is about £5 in Halfords.

I did the same to my oven and this brought it back.

MrsBucketxx Wed 17-Oct-12 10:50:07

just tested mine with a magnet and its not steel, smeg are cheap bastards hmm

MrsRhettButler Wed 17-Oct-12 10:52:11

Oh I have this on my bathroom taps angry

It looks horrible sad

diyer Mon 28-Aug-17 13:52:27

Just tested my rangemaster too and the magnet did not stick! But tried washing up liquid with a slightly abrasive sponge and that has reduced the worst of it (I will finish off with a stainless steel polish I think). The finish is brushed stainless steel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now