Talk

Advanced search

porridge and its aftermath - any tips

(23 Posts)
whenwillisleepagain Tue 16-Oct-12 08:19:08

Fed up with microwaving porridge, but returned to doing the real thing (well, soft southerner's version of it) on the hob last week and remembered why I swapped to microwave. It gets everywhere and it's so sticky. I use non-stick pan, put it in to soak asap, finish off in dishwasher, but still every implement and every cranny of the kitchen feels like the porridge takeover has recommenced. what am I doing wrong? Or is this just a fact of porridge life?

CuriousMama Tue 16-Oct-12 08:21:31

I'm not sure? I just made ds1 porridge this morning and only messed the pan and a wooden spoon but it's cleaned easily. I do just measure by eye though.
How about resorting to those single sachets and microwaving again? They're easy and not messy imo.

oddslippers Tue 16-Oct-12 08:28:06

I microwave, half a cup of oats and full cup of liquid give it a stir and ping for two minutes. It's a bit of a pain because you have to repeat for each portion but they get chance to cool down for the kids ready for us to eat together. I too cannot bear that slimy pan and spoon from cooking it on the hob. But if you want to continue on the hob try stirring with a decent silicone spatula this then scrapes the pan fairly clean.

MrsMuddyPuddles Tue 16-Oct-12 12:27:18

What happens that it gets everywhere- pot overflowing on the stove? A child throwing bits around? The smell making everything feel sticky?

HoopDePoop Tue 16-Oct-12 12:28:56

Just micro it! Tis fine, and any mess is contained. Don't be a martyr, it tastes the same anyhow.

<Scottish>

whenwillisleepagain Tue 16-Oct-12 22:46:39

yup, think the microwave beckons. MrsMP it's me that makes the most mess - went to scrape a bit of porridge out pan into bin and before I knew it, some was stuck to the wall. But I swear it has life of its own - also I do a slightly odd thing of putting frozen berries in during final stages, so it's purple as well, which doesn't help. Thanks for all the comments

MULLYPEEP Tue 16-Oct-12 22:49:21

Ready brek? So much easier just heat the milk and stir in?

HumpheadWrasse Tue 16-Oct-12 22:53:12

If it makes you feel any better I dropped a bowlful of the fecking stuff this morning. Bowl didn't break but the arsing porridge went everywhere - walls, floor, kitchen units, shoes, soft toys dumped on the floor - everywhere. I'm still finding bastarding bits of arsing porridge now. Even had some in my hair.

fossil97 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:53:16

Wipe out the pan with kitchen roll and bin it the residue.

I make it in the eating bowl by microwave though, for that exact reason.

If you are the sort of person who flings purple porridge at the wall you may be beyond help though, sorry!

vigglewiggle Tue 16-Oct-12 22:59:46

I add extra liquid so it never gets to the 'superglue' stage! I give it an initial blast of heat and then turn it right down. Stir occasionally and then as it thickens and bubbles it's ready. Only takes 15 mins max and is fab!

MrsMuddyPuddles Wed 17-Oct-12 08:08:24

fossil, did you mean to sound nasty with your "if you're the sort of person" comment?

CuriousMama Wed 17-Oct-12 08:31:02

I've just started adding frozen blueberries to mine on a morning, making it with water and prefer it. Dss have it with milk still. It's lush like that and doesn't need sugar imo. Op have you tried frozen raspberries, was thinking of those next as we have some in the freezer?

MrsMP I don't think fossil97 was trying to be nasty more of a joke but forgot the grin? But maybe she was? wink

fossil97 Wed 17-Oct-12 19:52:21

Oh no! I wasn't trying to sound nasty MrsMP, why would anybody want to? Really, really, sorry if I offended the OP, I had a long day and did indeed forget the grin perhaps thanks are more appropriate.

CuriousMama Wed 17-Oct-12 20:11:39

I doubt you offended the OP at all fossil? Why would anyone get nasty over porridge, even on MN? grin

BrianButterfield Wed 17-Oct-12 20:14:34

I make loads and stick it in the fridge - that way you get at least one, maybe two days of super-easy micro porridge for the mess of one.

AdoraBell Wed 17-Oct-12 21:05:22

I do it on the stove. To clean up, fill the pan with cold water once emptied and leave To soak. Then I scrape the yuky stuff into a seive. Seive goes in DW and the pan gets a quick wipe.

HipHopOpotomus Thu 18-Oct-12 12:29:12

I don't have a microwave. make porridge every morning. Trick is not to cook it at too high a heat, and soak pot straight away.

The kids do end up getting it everywhere somedays though smile

HipHopOpotomus Thu 18-Oct-12 12:30:04

even better if you can remember soak porridge in the water over night. In the morning just add the milk portion - then it only really needs to be heated.

MrsMuddyPuddles Thu 18-Oct-12 12:30:35

gosh, didn't occcour to me that it might have been a joke, fossil! Clearly I am over sensitive and not as over my depression as I'd thought So sorry!

boredandrestless Thu 18-Oct-12 12:33:28

I do it in a plastic jug in the microwave so can't help with the pan issue, but I scrape it out into bowl, then fill jug to the top with water and a tiny but of washing up liquid, and do the same with the bowl when it's been eaten. That way even if I don't get time to wash up straight away it's easy to clean.

I don't end up with it on any surface though confused so can't advise on that!

whenwillisleepagain Fri 26-Oct-12 17:21:53

gosh, just came back to this thread and saw the 'was the OP offended?' debate. Definitely not, and going silent was just due to busy-ness, not having a hissy fit. For the record, I am back on microwaving and have improved my technique, so thanks for all the advice. Need porridge now the weather's gone so freezy.

poocatcherchampion Fri 26-Oct-12 20:22:59

I thought this thread was going to answer my question of whether I could just buy a load of high chairs for a new one every day after breakfast! smile

MousyMouse Mon 29-Oct-12 10:39:16

I just scrape out the pot as well as I can after cooking porridge and then wait for the rest to dry.
I can then just peel off the dried on porridge film very easily. it's sort of satisfying blush
<lazy cooks anonymus>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now