Talk

Advanced search

New sofa, small DC: how important is a removable cover?

(19 Posts)
minipie Mon 15-Oct-12 16:15:19

I'm on the hunt for a new sofa. DC1 is due soon and we hope the sofa will last through DC1 and future DC toddler and small child years.

I've found one we really like but it's a fixed cover so can't be cleaned easily, unlike some others we've seen (which we don't like quite as much) which have a removable washable cover. We would be getting any sofa in a mid grey colour probably, so not very light but not dark enough to hide all stains either.

How important is it to have a removable and washable cover on your sofa? How much gets spilled or smushed into your sofa? And how much does stainguarding help... ?

(Judging from all the "how to clean my sofa" posts, I think I already know the answer but just to check!)

Thanks

girliefriend Mon 15-Oct-12 17:16:16

VERY important!!! grin

I only have one dd and it still amazes me how grubby the sofa gets, its actually amazing being able to bung the whole lot in the washing machine and when it goes back on it actually feels like a new sofa again for about 5 mins

Plus you really don't want to be stressing about baby sick/ poo on the sofa when you should be enjoying your new little one!!

minipie Mon 15-Oct-12 17:24:26

Thanks girlie - thought that might be the answer! How often do you end up washing the cover would you say?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 15-Oct-12 17:24:46

To be honest, I'd get a leather/fake leather sofa that is wipe clean. You may be able to wash the covers (if they don't shrink), but you can't wash the cushions and you will get seepage of various substances.

minipie Mon 15-Oct-12 17:39:54

That's what my FIL said ItsAll, and it does make total sense, but I can't get on with leather sofas ... I just can't seem to find them comfy or cosy. Irrational I know!

You're right about seepage though sad. I guess if the DC are particularly leaky we'll try to put a mat or throw under them? And maybe get the cushions professionally cleaned every couple of years? (not sure if this is possible, might have to ask the sofa companies)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 15-Oct-12 18:28:41

How about fake suede? That'd be snugglier and less slidey...

minipie Mon 15-Oct-12 19:33:30

Mmm but not wipe clean surely?

girliefriend Mon 15-Oct-12 20:38:23

I would say I wash the covers about once every couple of months or more often if we have guests coming they need it!!!

I've not found seepage to be much of a problem, the covers I have, have some special stain protector liquid rejector type clause in them which works well. I do also have a blanket type throw which I use if dd has friends round grin

imperialstateknickers Mon 15-Oct-12 20:44:31

All four sofas have had something disgusting dribbling on them at least once and the one in the kitchen many many times. The only one that isn't fit only for a skip is the leather-effect one, which wipes clean with fairy liquid on a sponge. The Real Leather Chair was not up to milk.

minipie Mon 15-Oct-12 20:58:26

Thanks girlie - sounds positive! Imperial, do any of yours have removable covers?

lolalotta Tue 16-Oct-12 07:07:49

We have a leather sofa, sooooooo practical with a little one grin I saw in a magazine where they draped sheepskins artfully on the seats with a few scatter cushions to warm it up and make it look inviting/ cosy....it looked LOVELY and sheepskins are machine washable too! Just an idea! grin

janey1234 Tue 16-Oct-12 07:11:37

Yes, I've got leather sofas and have a fake fur throw which makes them infinitely more snugly - either sit on the fur or curl up underneath it....

SeveredEdMcDunnough Tue 16-Oct-12 07:23:40

I don't know about stainguard. That sounds fab, but I've never had one with it.

What I will say is that for the past c.10 years, I've covered the sofas with big, thick woollen blankets. All of them. You need to be able to wash them somehow.

Ds1 is now 9 and doesn't get stuff on stuff so much...ds2 is 5, likewise except when he is eating something.

Ds3 is due soon and he will doubtless wee/spill milk/the usual things.

I'm especially protective of the leather one funnily enough as you can't take the covers off, andthings will go between the gaps iyswim - I also have one with removeable fabric seat cushion covers, (still blanketed) and the one in the dining room/where they watch DVDs, is from Ikea, and all the covers come off and can be machine washed.

Whatever you get, cover it up and resign yourself to not looking terribly stylish for several years!

Cats are worse than children though.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Tue 16-Oct-12 07:33:43

Essential IMHO. I bought my settee and chair long before I had DCs but went for removable washable covers because I was broody but single and they have been invaluable.

Food, drink, vomit. Mine had stainguard but are still stained now. Have only washed them when grubby or soiled, about 2 x year on average.

TantrumsandBananas Tue 16-Oct-12 07:42:35

Leather myself! But big old ancient brown worn in one...with a different throw depending on my mood! Couple of heavy velvety ones, or a patchwork type thing. It wipes, and throws wash.

My only suggestion if you are going for cloth, would be to get a heavy pattern, it won't show the muck so quickly.

Good Luck whatever you decide!

stainesmassif Tue 16-Oct-12 07:50:44

We have cream 2 and 3 seater ektorp sofas from ikea. 2 kids under four and four outdoor cats. The covers go in the wash every couple of weeks and come out looking brilliant. I bought cream so that I can dye later if they get too badly stained. Have had the three seater twelve years, still v comfy. Cream slip covers are only about £70 for the 3 seater.

minipie Tue 16-Oct-12 11:27:36

Argh maybe I should reconsider leather... but I just don't really warm to it no matter how many sheepskins are thrown over it.

Yes I think there will definitely need to be some sort of blanket or throw arrangement... as well as washable covers... trouble is we are looking for a huge sofa (3m long) so will need a totally enormous throw. Can't be impossible though.

Dyeable covers are a good idea, will look for cotton or linen or something else that dyes ok.

porthcurnick Tue 16-Oct-12 11:36:38

I didn't like leather before we had the children I would never have considered one, but you feel much comfier sitting on a clean leather settee than a vomit/wee/various other things stained one.

Some sort of washable cover/throw or leather, essential I'm afraid. We went for pretend leather, our lovely comfy old fabric settee is at the tip. sad

minipie Tue 16-Oct-12 17:41:14

This is not what I wanted to hear dammit! grin

Also, just looked at the price of leather. About double the price of fabric!

I think we will stick with fabric and washable covers. And a big throw over it. And try not to spend too much...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now