Talk

Advanced search

Laminate flooring - best way to clean after hoovering

(11 Posts)
DesperatelySeekingPerfection Mon 15-Oct-12 11:29:12

Does anyone have any advice either tips or products to make sur my laminate floor is clean? I Hoover it but would like a "proper" clean too. I know laminate is yuk but until I can afford to replace it I am stuck with it!

Obviously cannot mop it as its not meant to get wet? Or is this an old wives tale?

Horseyradish Mon 15-Oct-12 13:53:11

We have wooden floors and I find the flash power mop perfect for cleaning them. Hope that helps.

purpleflower123 Mon 15-Oct-12 13:54:55

I mop my laminate. I use boiling water and wring the mop out well so it's not really wet. The boiling water means it dries quickly.

reliablemillipede Tue 16-Oct-12 22:14:07

Dettol floor wipes are brilliant - they can be a bit wet so I usually squeeze out some of the liquid before I use them, leaves my floor smear free and smelling lovely.

GeeandTee Tue 16-Oct-12 22:18:58

I second the Flash power mop. Also very useful when your DCs fling food all over the floor. I end up mopping 3 times a day!

And yes if I get my laminate too wet the edges swell and lift up.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Tue 16-Oct-12 22:20:27

I mop mine with well diluted laminate cleaner, just wring the mop out really well and either have the windows open (on the 3 days a year it's warm) or have the heating on low to help it dry quickly. Done this for 2 years + with no problems.

A friend has the fancy Enjo mop and swears it gives the best finish, I don't really see a difference but thought I would mention it if you want a "dry" version.

Inneedofbrandy Tue 16-Oct-12 22:23:49

I mop with boiling water bleach and fairy. Wring it out and it will be fine, mine has been down almost 7 years with me doing this.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 16-Oct-12 22:28:31

Get yourself a swiffer!

Best thing ever. Mine's just a supermarket own brand one but they're all the same.

It's basically a giant stick that you stick a floor wipe on the end of. Anti-bac, smell nice, slightly damp so get the marks off. Works for me and I have a dog, 2 cats and a toddler so swiff a lot. smile

sportyme Sat 20-Oct-12 09:35:22

Been mopping mine with a bit of fairy for seven years and no problems so far.... Touch wood (or should that be laminate).

BerryBlast Sat 20-Oct-12 10:40:08

HG do a really good range of laminate floor cleaners. There is a powerful cleaner for really dirty laminate (not saying yours is smile) and a weekly wash and shine liquid which you add to water (just be sure to wring the mop out fully) and daily cleaning spray and wipes. I found them to be a really good range, which I use to get from Lakeland or "homecareessentials.co.uk" online.

HappyTurquoise Sat 20-Oct-12 13:12:45

I used to use a flat mop and use a spray cleaner sparingly which was good. Now I use a Vileda red mop and bucket, water just off the boil/from very hot tap and wring out the mop. Make sure there is no standing water. I find most floor products for wood are alright, included 'all purpose' supermarket own brands for economy. Some can be a bit dull, so the ones which leave the floor shiny are my preferred choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now