Talk

Advanced search

My iron has died...

(15 Posts)
BollocksToKarma Sun 14-Oct-12 18:18:51

To add to the ever growing list of stuff that needs replacing, my iron has now died, halfway through the pile, on a Sunday night of all nights.

I've borrowed my neighbours for tonight but will need another asap.

Can anyone recommend one?

A hoover recomendation would be useful too please, if you dont mind.

Feckbox Sun 14-Oct-12 18:21:38

philips man iron. it's great

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:31:47

Get a steam generator with a ceramic sole plate and an anti limescale permenant filter and pressurised steam.

It's worth it.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 14-Oct-12 18:34:58

A steam generator. I have a Phillips one, it is brilliant. It cuts the ironing time in half.

Have a look on the ARgos eBay outlet store, I noticed they had some on there this morning and they come with a 12 month Argos warranty.

FreddieMercurysEnormusPumpkin Sun 14-Oct-12 18:40:46

Throw the fecker out and don't get a new one. Keep the ironing board to make tents with a sheet for the children on rainy days. Life will be more crumpled, but much nicersmile

eggsandwich Sun 14-Oct-12 19:56:04

I've just brought a new iron from argos this week and it's fantastic, its a phillips azur and is currently half price at £37.49 was £74.99, I have had many irons over the years, but this is the best I have ever had.

BertieBotts Sun 14-Oct-12 20:03:24

There's a man iron?? shock FFS!

susiedaisy Sun 14-Oct-12 20:04:34

Throw it out and liberate yourself by not bothering to buy a new one!smile

ChippyMinton Sun 14-Oct-12 20:09:22

get a steam generator (mine is a phillips too). honestly they cut ironing time down hugely and are a pleasure to use not that I do much ironing

Goldmandra Mon 15-Oct-12 08:34:34

This one

Just noticed that a previous poster has recommended it too. I've had mine about three weeks and suddenly I don't hate ironing quite so much. That is a minor miracle!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 15-Oct-12 10:07:43

www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-GC7420-Pressurised-Steam-Generator/dp/B003SX13WA/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1350291972&sr=1-2

I have this one, I only paid £65 for it 3 years ago!.

catinwitchyboots Mon 15-Oct-12 10:10:42

Ahem.

You need this thread

HTH

comelywench Mon 15-Oct-12 11:58:08

I second phillips as a good brand of iron.

For the hoover, nothing can beat miele. They're not the cheapest but last and last and last whilst doing a good job. Mine's hoovered up plaster board bits, nails and screws at DH hands but is still going strong after nine years or ten years. I think my MIL has had four hoovers in the same time span.

PigletJohn Mon 15-Oct-12 13:45:08

The Philips GC2810 and Philips GC2930 came out well on Which tests, among other best buys at two or three times the price. They have non-stick soleplates.

If you iron much cotton, a heavier iron is easier to use as you don't have to press hard.

I rather prefer a polished stainless soleplate as I think they are easier to keep clean.

BollocksToKarma Mon 15-Oct-12 16:12:08

Thank you all of you. The Azure looks like the one for me, I can't afford the other one as there's the hoover to buy as well as my glasses, oh and the kids have both lost A glove from the brand new pair which they've had for one day....ffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now