Talk

Advanced search

How Do You Clean Your Upholstery/Sofa?

(12 Posts)
Popumpkin Sat 13-Oct-12 17:57:33

Just that really.

I have a very nice pale coloured upholstered three-piece suite with removable/washable cushion covers. My problem is how do I clean the rest of the upholstery? The arms of the sofa are the worst - covered in many a grubby hand print & just general grime sad.

I don't want to use a bleach as that would obviously remove the colour from the fabric & I really can't afford to replace the suite at the moment. Besides which, it's lovely & comfortable smile.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Popumpkin Sat 13-Oct-12 22:07:41

Someone? Anyone? sad

PrincessOfChina Sat 13-Oct-12 22:10:50

Baby wipes? They get all sorts off.

thingamajig Sat 13-Oct-12 22:14:51

Carpet/upholstery cleaner foam? like this

Mum2Fergus Sat 13-Oct-12 22:25:46

I use Vanish foam on fabric tub chair and it always comes up lovely. Could you whip up some arm covers (always thought they were old fashioned til I saw them in a showroom just last month!)

HappyTurquoise Sat 13-Oct-12 22:28:10

A very nice big (crocheted) throw! (After failing with all the above suggestions.)

wine

Popumpkin Mon 15-Oct-12 14:54:56

Thanks for replying smile. The grime is well past baby wipe stage I'm afraid & I do have arm covers but they only reach half way along the arm IYSWIM.

I'm off to try some 1001 and if all else fails, buy a throw grin.

Many thanks.

PostBellumBugsy Mon 15-Oct-12 14:58:18

Steam. I have a steam cleaner & it does a great job on the sofa cover & cushions.

theninjabreadma Mon 15-Oct-12 15:34:30

I would suggest Stardrops. Its amazing stuff. I find it better than 1001 etc for general cleaning as it doesn't seem to leave residue which then in turn attracts more dirt. Just make up a bucket of foamy Stardrops, give it a wee scrub with a scrubbing brush, taking care not to get it too wet, then a wipe down with a damp cloth. It would probably take 1001 or whatever to remove serious stains, but if its general grime, then Stardrops is the business.

It is my favourite cleaning product, there is nothing around the house that I can't clean with it! Its also dirt cheap, very gentle on your hands, hasn't much smell and lasts for what seems like forever.

I know it sounds like I work for the company, but I'm just an enthusiastic customer.

LordFlasheart Thu 25-Oct-12 09:25:27

WTF is stardrops?

Mine is pale grey fabric. I do cover it with throws but will try to get some cleaner today- I'll look out for the 1001 stuff too....

Hopandaskip Thu 25-Oct-12 16:48:27

stuff we can get here called folex which is magic, or rubbing alcohol which I think is called surgical spirit there. Both on a rag.

ethelb Fri 26-Oct-12 23:26:40

I use carpet cleaner spray (1001) to spot clean my sofa and it works very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now