Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me how to mend a microwave?

(4 Posts)
ThursdayNextIsMyHero Sat 13-Oct-12 17:15:15

Basically, it's stopped going round. The rest of it works okay, so it seems wasteful to just bin it and buy a new one (& repair costs would probably cost more than a replacement). Being clueless not of a practical nature, I don't know where to start. The collective wisdom of mn knows all, so please, what do I do?

PigletJohn Sat 13-Oct-12 17:35:13

don't know. It might be a motor or a rubber drive belt.

repairmen particularly warn against amateur repair of microwaves because apparently they contain a capacitor that is charged up to high voltage and can give you a very nasty belt if you poke around inside.

I only know how to repair a plastic side window that is burned.

fengirl1 Sat 13-Oct-12 18:52:21

Stating the obvious so sorry if you have..... Double check the turntable is actually engaged on to the turny thingy (technical term) as that could be the problem - or take it off to see if said turny thingy is actually going round.

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Sun 14-Oct-12 08:26:44

Thanks both. I wasn't planning to go rooting around inside, I was hoping for an easier solution. I do have a very healthy respect for electrical appliances. Fen, I have tried that, taking out the turntable and putting it back in, but the bit underneath it isn't turning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now