Talk

Advanced search

Warm duvet that will FIT into a washing machine?!

(10 Posts)
NumptyMum Fri 12-Oct-12 16:53:39

I recently bought a new 13.5 tog duvet for DS's bed which is described as machine washable. DS is just 5 and still wets the bed sometimes. So you can imagine I was angry this morning when I found that the bloody thing doesn't fit into our washing machine! So that was a waste of money.

Are there any warm but NOT thick single duvets that people have washed? Otherwise I guess I'll have to go for one of those with 2 thin duvets that popper together but they are so much more £££...

ethelb Fri 12-Oct-12 23:55:50

Can you take it to the laundrette? Their standard machines are much bigger. £5 at my local in London.

Bunbaker Sat 13-Oct-12 11:11:38

Non of our duvets fit into our washer. I take them to the laundrette when they need doing (which is once in a blue moon anyway)

ceres Sat 13-Oct-12 15:09:34

we have a spundown king size duvet. it fits in the washing machine but bit of a squish - should be fine with the single or double version though. they are designed to be washed in domestic machines and get good reviews.

NumptyMum Sat 13-Oct-12 15:44:09

Given it may need washing on a fairly regular basis ie every 1-2 months, it's not really any use to me if I can't wash it myself; nearest laundrette is a trek with no parking nearby and carrying a duvet while not losing my toddler won't work... So thanks for the replies but I'm going to use this one to help insulate the loft/for extreme emergencies/totally continent people to use.

Instead I'll get a lighter-tog duvet that WILL fit into our own washing machine (or possibly a Spundown, though this does cost rather a lot, thanks for the info smile...). I was just was so angry that a single duvet wouldn't fit in, as I've regularly had to wash them up til now but they are a lower tog, I guess.

poppyboo Sat 13-Oct-12 18:10:27

ceres thank you so much for the info! I'm going to buy the kingsize duvet you've suggested, I've been looking for a synthetic duvet that I could wash in a domestic machine! So does it cram in OK? even being kingsize? I have a regular sized washing machine, not sure of the exact drum size....I have a kingsize bed so I definitely need the kingsize duvet.

littlejo67 Sun 14-Oct-12 19:27:46

I wash my sons feather duvet regularly. It's difficult to get in the machine but soon as its wet its just two thirds full as it collapses down. Feather duvets are amazingly warm and easy to keep clean. It puffs up again no problem.

Fizzylemonade Sun 14-Oct-12 20:04:25

We have microfibre ones from Next and they do fit into a domestic machine, mine is a 8kg machine.

For the single duvets which are 10 tog ones, I fold it lengthways, then roll it up and push it into the machine. Then I put my hands into the roll and unravel it to get it to fill the drum.

My machine has a duvet setting on it. The hardest part is getting it back out without damaging the rubber seal as the drum is bigger than door opening grin

I also tumble it in a domestic machine, that is a 10kg one though.

HoratiaWinwood Sun 14-Oct-12 20:12:48

Our old one was in pieces - a 9t bit and a 4.5t bit - with poppers at the corners. You sort of build your own depending on the season (4.5 in summer, 9 in autumn, both together in winter, 9 in spring). Each part was small, but the whole thing was massive.

M&S.

ceres Mon 15-Oct-12 08:08:27

poppy - the king size duvet just about crams into our regular machine. you have to faff around a lot to get it in and balanced properly or ese the spin doesn't work properly.

tbh i now wash it in my mum's machine as she has a bigger drum. just waiting for my washing machine to die so i can get a new one with a bigger drum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now