Talk

Advanced search

Cleaner coming bi-weekly any tips?

(7 Posts)
zozzle Thu 11-Oct-12 19:19:41

I've never had a cleaner before. I have 2 days off a week and am so bored with spending the 2 days doing housework while my two kids are at school so have decided to get a cleaner to (hopefully) free up some time so I can decorate kids bedrooms etc! There will be a team of two cleaners who come together and do one hour each, twice a month (4 hours in total a month).

Any tips in terms of what you ask your bi-weekly cleaner to do? Ie does she do the same things each time or does she rotate tasks? Does it make an impact or would once a week be better?

Any wisdom gratefully received.

zozzle Thu 11-Oct-12 20:06:26

Ooh, and is a trial period usual?

Evandlovu Fri 12-Oct-12 18:25:42

Hi
I'm currently running my own cleaning company and from my experience for now is the best to let them do the regular cleaning and as they get use to the place they should have more time do do the extra's.
One a week is the best option, sometimes instead of for example dusting you can ask them to clean the fridge etc.
Good luck.

zozzle Sun 14-Oct-12 11:09:51

Great - thanks! Do any of you out there have a bi-weekly cleaner? Just not sure whether I can afford one once a week.

Viviennemary Mon 15-Oct-12 12:50:16

Wouldn't you be better having them once a month but for twice as long. I think they would probably get a lot more done. I've had blitz cleaners in a couple of times and it's worked really well.

weegiemum Mon 15-Oct-12 12:59:09

I have help in the house twice a week. I'm disabled and use my DLA to pay for it.

My assistant does about 1/2 her time cleaning. Once a week she does bathrooms, once a week she does kitchen and floors. Then there's time for other things she or I have spotted, like fridge or bookshelves or windows (inside).

(she spends the rest of her time doing things I need help with like admin, sewing, cooking)

I don't think bi-weekly would suit. I'd have someone once a week to do bathrooms, floors, kitchen, if that's what you can afford.

plipplops Wed 17-Oct-12 22:22:49

I used to have cleaners once a fortnight, and tbh it didn't really work for us. They were so expensive I resented doing any cleaning myself (I know, I know) so it would be clean for a few days then gradually worse over the next week and a half. If you used to spend two whole days a week doing housework, they're not going to do enough in 4 hours a month to take that much off you? Now I have two days a week to myself (while DDs at preschool) I just spend maybe 2-3 hours on one of those days blitzing the house (so it's done every week). Also since I know it's me doing it I'm better at keeping everywhere generally cleaner throughout the week.

Mind you, we have had cleaners on and off through the last few years and it's probably taken me that long to get my head round doing it properly myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now