Talk

Advanced search

Chores/ House Rules

(1 Post)
KeithLeMonde Wed 10-Oct-12 12:16:35

Inspired by a couple of similar threads this morning.

I am a SAHM. Kids are both at school (both primary age). DH works long hours. The vast majority of the housework is my job to do while the kids are at school; I don't have a problem with that. I'm a pretty rubbish housewife - I like a clean-ish, tidy-ish house but wasn't brought up that way so I still struggle to keep on top of everything.

My problem is the kids and DH not clearing up after themselves. Clothes/towels on the floor, dirty cups by the sofa, that sort of thing. DH is naturally tidier than me but he has regressed to leaving his mess about for me to pick up.

I've tried to drum certain habits into the kids. They tidy up their toys every night before bed, they make their beds in the morning. They hang up their coats and put away their shoes when they get back from school.

I'd like to extend this and have some house rules in place. Does anyone else do this and does it work? Any ideas of what would work? I am thinking of things like:

* If you get something out to use it or play with it, PUT IT AWAY when you've finished.

* Dirty dishes go in the dishwasher (if you're a grown-up) or by the sink (if you're a kid).

* Towels must always be hung up after being used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now