Talk

Advanced search

'Healthy' hot chocolate

(20 Posts)
WinterStepThisWay Tue 09-Oct-12 16:13:41

In inverted commas because I realise there's no such thing. But DC are very fond of Nesquik and I'd just like to find a way of giving them a hot chocolate that isn't quite as full of sugar and other stuff. Any suggestions?

FringeEvent Tue 09-Oct-12 16:19:33

Just make it with regular cocoa powder, I think? So you can control the amount of sugar added to sweeten it / use an artificial sweetener if you prefer that sort of thing. Can you float a couple of marshmallows on the top to make it more fun if they don't like proper cocoa as much as Nesquik? (I have no idea if marshmallows are particularly unhealthy)

Rooble Tue 09-Oct-12 16:20:14

Pulverise some real chocolate in a blender and stir it into hot milk?

Rooble Tue 09-Oct-12 16:22:05

Actually my DH went to a presentation about pulverised choc - cant remember the name of the company that made it, will check when I get home

Furball Tue 09-Oct-12 16:24:38

Green and blacks do Hot chocolate you make with milk- which wouldn't have any nasties in (apart from the sugar etc, but you know where you are with that rather than fake etc)

and clipper do an instant organic hot chocolate

both in sainsburys

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 09-Oct-12 16:25:24

I've grated chocolate into hot milk when we've had loads of dairy milk (no one likes them) left from Christmas but have run out of hot chock powder.

Furball Tue 09-Oct-12 16:27:41

someone posted a recipe the other day for

400 grams chocolate and 400 grams of milk, heat and stir well

must admit it does sound like will be good

WinterStepThisWay Tue 09-Oct-12 16:42:05

Grating real chocolate would never work for me because I would just eat it grin.

Clipper instant chocolate sound good though, I do like Clipper. Thank you!

CuriousMama Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:32

I made hot choc last night for ds1, melted choc spread with milk in microwave. You can use nutella or any other type?

Furball Tue 09-Oct-12 16:45:35

how much choc spread? would a dessert spoon do it?

CuriousMama Tue 09-Oct-12 16:48:33

Yes I used about that, heaped one.

Furball Tue 09-Oct-12 16:50:37

thanks - it's purely for research purposes you understand grin

CuriousMama Tue 09-Oct-12 16:58:05

good, and apparently it's illegal not to put mini marshmallow on top too? wink

Indith Tue 09-Oct-12 17:02:52

The Co-op stuff is wonderful. It is just divine, smooth tasting cocoa (better than cocoa you buy for baking) with a little sugar. I refuse to drink anything else.

MrsHowardRoark Tue 09-Oct-12 17:05:27

I second nutella hot chocolate. It is absolutely delicious.
Just stir in a heaped dessert spoon for every cup of warm milk.

hellymelly Tue 09-Oct-12 17:06:01

Agree cocoa is the best, then you just add as much sugar as you like (which will be far less than in hot choc) or you can use Agave syrup or similar with a low GI.

Furball Tue 09-Oct-12 17:09:12

now getting back to the op here curious of 'sugar and other stuff'- marshmallows are really grim jimmys farm 1.10 in bleurgh, yuck! shock

CuriousMama Tue 09-Oct-12 17:19:10

Here is a alternative to piggy marshmallows! I don't actually like marshmallows though thanks goodness and we never buy them. Am glad I don't now! shock

CuriousMama Tue 09-Oct-12 17:19:47

I meant an alternative of course.

Rooble Tue 09-Oct-12 17:33:13

Mortimer Chocolate Company - if you google their web page they say where it's stocked. (Have a nasty feeling it may cost an arm and a leg though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now