Talk

Advanced search

Pinky orange staining in shower

(20 Posts)
Lavendersbluedillydilly1969 Mon 08-Oct-12 16:41:22

Our shower cubicle always has a funny pinky orange stain around the edge of the tiles and at the bottom of the door seals. I clean it with bleach every week and it's clean for a day then it starts coming back.
Does anyone have any ideas what it actually is, I never had it at my old house, or how to get rid of it permanently?

Cherrypieplum Mon 08-Oct-12 16:42:26

Is it anything to do with copper pipes?

Vondo Mon 08-Oct-12 16:42:32

Watching with interest - we have it in our house too but didn't have it in our last house.

I hate it!!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 08-Oct-12 16:42:32

Apparently it's a form of mould/fungus; I get it sometimes. You may need to air the room better?

ChippyMinton Mon 08-Oct-12 16:43:11

Some kind of mould. Try Dettol Mould & Mildew Remover.

horsebiscuit Mon 08-Oct-12 16:47:04

Do you use a pink or orange shower gel or shampoo? That's what mine was. Took me aaaages to figure it out <dim>

Lavendersbluedillydilly1969 Mon 08-Oct-12 16:49:11

Wow that was quick. Will give the Dettol Mould stuff a go tomorrow. The bathroom is well ventilated and the window is nearly always open a bit all year round as hate steamy rooms. The other bathroom doesn't have this problem at all.
I dont think it's anything to do with the pipes as these are all concealed and this is on the grout and sealant. I hate it though, always makes it feel a bit grubby even though it's thoroughly cleaned regularly.
Wonder if the mould remover will remove the black mould that's started appearing on the door seal too. Am beginning to feel like we should replace the whole thing but we can't afford to and DH not really into complicated DIY.

ArthurShappey Mon 08-Oct-12 17:56:52

Exactly what chippy said!

MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Oct-12 17:59:05

it can be from your tank or pipes too if they are copper.

pushmepullyou Mon 08-Oct-12 18:39:13

It's mould. Lakeland do a mould remover that will get rid of it. I use it weeklyish. It just needs spraying on so no scrubbing required.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Oct-12 18:43:01

I thought it was soap scum. I use Cillit Bang and a toothbrush.

Buglove Mon 08-Oct-12 22:54:28

I worked a a pool and was told it was body fat!!

Ponders Mon 08-Oct-12 23:00:01

it's called Serratia marcescens. feeds on soap or something.

mould/mildew cleaner will get rid. the Dettol one works fine but I find the spray dribbles down my fingers hmm

FringeEvent Mon 08-Oct-12 23:06:34

I thought the pink/orange stuff was body fat. That's what the cleaner who came to help with my end-of-tenancy clean told me, anyway.

Ponders Mon 08-Oct-12 23:07:52

'Due to its ubiquitous presence in the environment, and its preference for damp conditions, S. marcescens is commonly found growing in bathrooms (especially on tile grout, shower corners, toilet water line, and basin), where it manifests as a pink discoloration and slimy film feeding off phosphorus-containing materials or fatty substances such as soap and shampoo residue'

(frim wiki)

ethelb Tue 09-Oct-12 12:25:35

i've had it. HG mould spray gets rid.

typicalvirgo Wed 10-Oct-12 10:13:44

body fat ?

how does that 'just wash off'

what a fantastic way of loosing those few extra pounds... scrub'em off in an extra long shower confused

FringeEvent Wed 10-Oct-12 10:40:55

Actually I think 'body fat' isn't quite the right description... 'body grease' would be more accurate!

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Wed 10-Oct-12 10:42:16

I thought it was limescale. Vinegar spray or bleach works.

ArthurShappey Wed 10-Oct-12 12:13:13

Grotbuster is good if it's in between the tiles (in the grouting).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now