Talk

Advanced search

Mattress, mattress topper, mattress protector do I need all 3?

(6 Posts)
ruby22 Fri 05-Oct-12 21:55:35

We are having new bed, yipee, and with it new everything, long overdue. So have made a list which is as follows:
Mattress- essential
Mattress pad thingy- also essential as 2 3ft mattresses going onto 6ft bed frame
Mattress protector- do I need this if I've got the pad on top of the mattress?
Pillows, pillow protectors?
Duvet, does a duvet protector even exist???
Ok, need advice with all of the above except the mattress which is sorted already, where to buy from and good recommendations etc, thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:12:20

You'll need really deep fitting bottom sheets to fit it all under. The white company do them.

Mattress protecter is optional but how will you clean the topper? laundrette? specialiast dry cleaner? It will get dirtier than you imagine, ours has stains that I have no idea how they got there.

Pillow protecters are good, you can launder them easily just check they can be done at 60 to kill dustmites.

Dunelm mill do a duvet protecter, we just take ours to the laundrette every year and they wash it. It costs £15 but the duvet was £100 so I cant afford a new one every year.

We stayed in a holiday rental that had cotton sateen sheets in 600 thread count, they were flat sheets not fitted and to be honest it was a better sleep expierience than our white company sheets.

TK Maxx and Homesense (same parent company) are excellent for sheets, if you want really nice sheets go for hotel quality and the highest thread count you can afford.

Dunelm mill can be good too as can M&S but they are £££.

If you want to have an absolute heart attack Click here.

TodaysAGoodDay Sat 06-Oct-12 20:36:32

A mattress protector or 2 is very handy for those -ahem- occasional accidental stains like menstrual blood. Very hard to get out of a mattress IMO. Possibly TMI, but protectors are great.

ruby22 Sat 06-Oct-12 21:24:23

that's really helpful thank you my first post on house type things, I normally can be found on style and beauty hence am very familiar with the fruits of a trip to tk maxx, will check out the bed linens section, thanks fluffy!
hmm think would rather have the duvet cleaned than buy a protector, having said that the current duvet is quite old and never been to the cleaners, maybe should have stayed on s&b after all....!

sportyme Mon 08-Oct-12 19:34:22

Not sure you would need a topper. If your mattress is new it should be ok. I always thought toppers were for when your mattress got old, and maybe nit as firm or even as it once was. A mattress protector is a good idea though as it can be washed. I like quilted ones. I also use pillow protectors as I once had the dye from the pillowcase run onto the pillow! Percale sheets and a nice duvet cover will make your new bed perfect. Try this place - they have some beautiful bed sets at a very reasonable price. Homespacedirect.com

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Oct-12 19:49:44

Our bed has an inbuilt topper. Plus a protector.

I love our bed especially if dh sleeps downstairs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now