Talk

Advanced search

Is water in toilet cistern clean?

(8 Posts)
whethergirl Sun 30-Sep-12 13:48:24

Having problems with my toilet flush and have just managed to get sprayed by the water in the toilet cistern. I'm a bit ocd so just wanted reassurance...it's clean water right? Where does that water come from exactly?!

Whitecherry Sun 30-Sep-12 13:49:36

No, I got a bad stomach bug from doing some minor home plumbing and going In the cistern!

DameFanny Sun 30-Sep-12 13:49:47

It's drinking water from your cold system - don't worry :-)

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 30-Sep-12 13:50:44

It's fresh water from the mains, and if you're "a bit ocd" the cistern won't be harbouring anything dodgy.

DameFanny Sun 30-Sep-12 13:53:20

Whitecherry, I think that may have been coincidence. Unless you have a separate grey water recycling for flushing your Lou - and you would know if so - water for flushing is the same as water from the tap.

However, if at any point something dodgy has taken up residence in the cistern itself - if a cat's somehow dropped in a dead mouse for example (although how they'd get the lid up I don't know) - then yes, in that case, there might be enough bacteria to cause concern.

whethergirl Sun 30-Sep-12 14:04:42

Oh good, sounds fine. It looks and smells clean, and no sign of a dead mouse. It's just that it sprayed out onto me, and even though it wasn't much, was wondering if it warranted a shower and having to wash my hair!

It's not even the stomach bug that would frighten me. I find toilets in general a bit yuckky (I clean mine thoroughly daily) and for example, always put the lid down to flush because I imagine fine mists of toilet water jumping out and contaminating everything!

DuaneDibbley Sun 30-Sep-12 14:10:45

It's not clean if you've put one of those Bloo type things in. But otherwise yes smile

whethergirl Sun 30-Sep-12 23:11:38

...I don't mean to drink DuaneDibbley!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now