Talk

Advanced search

Clothes moths - help me save my woollies!

(4 Posts)
cloutiedumpling Sat 29-Sep-12 21:35:06

I took my favourite woolly dress out of the wardrobe and found five holes in it, each slightly smaller than a five pence piece. I also found a couple of areas of white cobwebby stuff on the dress. I'm presuming moths have got it although I didn't see any today. I did find one or two moths in the bedroom about a month or two back though. I can't see any signs of moths on anything else in the wardrobe but am nervous for my cashmere cardis. I've washed everything that can be handwashed but have quite a few dry clean only items in the wardrobe. I can't afford to dry clean everything at the moment. I've bought sachets and wardrobe hangers from Lakeland to hang in the wardrobe and have given it a good hoover. Is there anything else I should do to protect my clothes?

PigletJohn Sat 29-Sep-12 21:48:58

Did the products you bought contain Transfluthrin, which kills moths, grubs and eggs, or were they the cedar or lavender-scented things that make your holey clothes smell nice when you throw them in the bin?

Lots more on www.mumsnet.com/Talk/good_housekeeping/a1525407-House-seems-to-be-ful-of-small-moths#33144833

cloutiedumpling Sat 29-Sep-12 22:00:56

I'm not sure. The sachets I bought were marketed as being ones that killed moths, rather than the aromatherapy ones that just repel them. The order should arrive later this week so I'll be able to check the small print then to see what pesticide is used in the sachets.

phillymum Sat 29-Sep-12 22:53:27

You can put your wool clothes in the freezer to kill any adults, larvae and eggs. A chest freezer is best because it gets colder than an upright. Wrap them in plastic first and leave in for a 1-2 weeks. Sounds odd but it really does work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now