Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning old wooden doors

(11 Posts)
Slothlorien Fri 28-Sep-12 13:37:24

What would you use? Washing up liquid ok do u think ?

TirednessKills Fri 28-Sep-12 15:45:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Slothlorien Fri 28-Sep-12 17:16:47

I think maybe 30's. Dark wood, not great condition. I think they may have been waxed at some point.

TirednessKills Fri 28-Sep-12 18:31:57

Slothlorien Fri 28-Sep-12 19:28:49

Thanks very much.
Do the brillo pads take the wax off as well as the filth?

TirednessKills Fri 28-Sep-12 19:51:01

PigletJohn Sat 29-Sep-12 14:10:10

if they are 1930's doors, I would be very surprised if they have not been painted in the past.

Do you think they are old doors that have been stripped and waxed? If so, there will be various holes visible (usually filled in) where different locks, knobs, handles and hinges have been fitted in the past. If there are no signs of damage and repair, they might be modern replacement doors.

I would avoid WUL as it will leave a sticky film when it dries. A GP cleaner would be a bit better, but I think most people would use a wax polish furniture or floor cleaner. Eventually the thick wax and dirt coating will need to be stripped off. Most products will be marketed for furniture or for waxed floors.

It is fairly important for you to find out for sure if it is wax on bare timber of if it has been varnished.

White spirit will clean off wax and the dirt that is embedded in it, it will need re-waxing afterwards.

Slothlorien Sat 29-Sep-12 21:12:25

Thanks Piglet, I'm sure they haven't been varnished, as not shiny at all. How would I find out if they've been waxed? they are full of holes and scars of old door furniture etc. funny old things reallly.

PigletJohn Sat 29-Sep-12 21:15:52

rub an inconspicous spot with a rag and white spirit. Wax and dirt will come off if it is. Gin might also work.

FiveOrangeFlowers Sat 29-Sep-12 21:40:51

Gin??? shock <faints>

I thought perhaps a vinegar solution?

PigletJohn Sat 29-Sep-12 21:45:14

vinegar doesn't work on oil, grease or wax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now