Talk

Advanced search

Need a new duvet. 4.5 tog too cold for me, fine for DP. Tog 7 too warm for me.

(16 Posts)
mumat39 Thu 27-Sep-12 23:21:53

I have trawled through alot of the old threads on MN but still don't know what we should get.

Our old duvet is just a bit erm past it and needs replacing. The one we have is 4.5tog and as it starts to get colder I'm thinking I don't want another winter where I'm cold in bed. DP gets hot under the 4.5 tog one and we both swelter under our other 7.5 tog duvet. both are hollow fibre ones.

I'm think a natural fibre one would be good but not sure about the whole dust mite thing.

So what would work for us both. Don't want 2 single duvets or something too lightweight. I want something that will just be comfortable for us both. Does something like this exist?

Many thanks in advance.

mumat39 Thu 27-Sep-12 23:23:35

I forgot to say that we don't have the space to store one half of the all seasons type ones so ideally looking for one duvet that's clever enough to work whatever the weather. Thanks again.

TodaysAGoodDay Thu 27-Sep-12 23:29:36

You so need this

TodaysAGoodDay Thu 27-Sep-12 23:32:03

You can get it here

TodaysAGoodDay Thu 27-Sep-12 23:34:02

Or this is 5.5 tog here

PigletJohn Fri 28-Sep-12 00:01:05

You might consider an electric blanket with separate controls for each side.

SilverSixpence Fri 28-Sep-12 00:01:26

Those cosy cool duvets are expensive! But a good idea. Can only go from 4.5 to 9 or 13.5 though

imperialstateknickers Fri 28-Sep-12 00:05:53

Plan A. An extra blanket, but only on your side.
Plan B. An electric blanket, but only on your side.
Plan C. Tell DP to bugger off and sleep with whatever covers he feels like, while you snuggle up with what suits you. Added extra - no snoring or farting.

IllageVidiot Fri 28-Sep-12 00:07:35

We have the anti allergy covers on our goose down (beautiful to sleep in, cosy and never sweaty or lumpy) underneath the duvet cover. Bit crackly but actually wore in quite nicely.

Am I the only tight get that sewed 2 duvets together? I'm freezing and DH is the ready brek dragon so I popped a single 3 tog over our 4.5 - I'm toasty, he's cool and it's cheaper than a special one. I don't know if I should be miffed they stole my idea or vice versa?

crunchingautumnleaves Fri 28-Sep-12 00:11:35

One option could be to forget duvets and use quilts and blankets instead? Easier to keep clean, store, more breathable than duvets. And you could add extras on your side, like a fleece blanket, under the main double quilt.

HufftheHedgehog Fri 28-Sep-12 21:01:36

Or just buy two singles in the tog each of you would prefer? DH and I have done that and it's brilliant, I can snuggle and be toasty as I like smile

mumat39 Fri 28-Sep-12 22:21:57

Thanks for your help everyone.

I'm going to look at each of the options you've all suggested. I must admit the goose down one sound lovely. We used one when we stayed with family and I remember how comfy it was without making either of us too hot. I like the idea of a fluffy duvet that you can snuggle into. Is a duck down duvet just as good? These seem to be cheaper although still more £££. I think the synthetic ones we have now just aren't that comfortable.

Todaysagoodday, the one you linked too looks good. Do you know if when it's on the bed, one side looks more puffy than the other? We've had a really boring bedroom for a while but I'm trying to make it more into a 'haven' so want the bed to look lovely when it's made if that makes sense.

Many thanks again and I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

RandomMess Fri 28-Sep-12 22:23:46

Start wearing comfy pjs tto bed and make do with a summer duvet grin

2kidsintow Mon 01-Oct-12 00:00:02

My winner recently been a fleece blanket (not too bulky, but cosy) over me on my side, then the duvet over us both. It is lovely and warm, and OH (who also swelters whenever the temp raises above freezing) is not bothered by my extra fleecy layer.

Coconutter Mon 01-Oct-12 23:13:04

Google Duvet and Pillow Warehouse - they're great. Fab quality - worth the price, and I usually begrudge paying more than basic price for anything! I get cold in bed so easily and wasn't convinced the goose down duvet would work as it's pretty thin, but it warms up unbelievably fast and barely weighs anything. Love it!! They've also got useful guides to what type to buy.

BoffinMum Tue 02-Oct-12 20:37:08

I safety pinned an extra single duvet onto my side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now