Talk

Advanced search

Mattress topper advice, please!

(11 Posts)
BlackType Tue 25-Sep-12 15:34:36

I suffer from painful joints and am struggling to sleep on my too-hard mattress. I can't afford a replacement, so am wondering if a topper might help - but am bewildered by the internet. I know I don't need support (I'm 7 stone and tiny), but I do need lots and lots and lots of softness. I also know I don't like memory foam (I've tried it), though appreciate that others love it.

I've seen toppers made of wool, synthetics and feathers. So far as I can tell, the feathery ones are more "supportive", so I suspect they're not what I want - but I really need recommendations from people. I would be very grateful for help!

BlackType Wed 26-Sep-12 10:00:22

Please?

RatherNot Wed 26-Sep-12 16:13:15

I have feather filled ones and they're more soft than supportive, although I guess it depends upon the manufacturer. I bought mine from JL and love them as it's like sleeping on an extra thick duvet - they need plumping every so often to keep them bouncy. Also, have a look at Duvet and Pillow Warehouse as theirs may be cheaper.

BlackType Fri 28-Sep-12 09:48:00

Ooh - thank you!! Funnily enough, a mattress man I consulted said the D&P Warehouse was a good place to get reasonably priced toppers. Soft is definitely what I need, so it is good to hear that feathers are not too firm...

Spons Fri 28-Sep-12 09:53:49

Have a memory foam one, was about £20 from Argos- it's lovely! Like been enveloped in big soft hug in bed!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 28-Sep-12 09:56:43

A friend swears by the wool ones from White Company. Still haven't worked out how you wash them, though. Perhaps you don't?!

barleysugar Fri 28-Sep-12 20:20:14

I got a lovely thick feather one from Dunelm, it was like sleeping on a cloud for the first night, then thereafter it was horrendous -, it stayed in the same position, all flattened where I had slept on it. It probably needed shaking up every morning to get it fluffy again, but seriously - undoing the sheet every morning? Who has time for that?

I've gone over to a 2.5cm memory foam (egg box style one side, smooth the other) from Argos and its amazing!

MikeLitoris Fri 28-Sep-12 21:11:30

I had one from Argos. Came with two pillows. Was about £30.

Had to take it off recently (bloody dog need on it angry ) and the pains in my hips and lower back have returned. The difference is unbelievable.

I'm seriously considering getting another one of these rather than replacing my mattress.

Luckystar96 Fri 28-Sep-12 21:32:37

Think they might be selling one in Aldi at the moment. Always very reasonable.

Catsmamma Fri 28-Sep-12 21:35:13

yup, aldi (or poss lidl I never pay proper attention to the email) have memory foam mattress toppers in atm....the kingsize one was £40 I think.

BlackType Sat 29-Sep-12 08:06:42

Ah, MN is so great. Thank you, all. Any other recommendations? Particularly interested in feathers and wool!

The mattress I really want is a Vi Spring shetland wool one, but it's about, um, £5000.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now