Talk

Advanced search

Fleapit

(35 Posts)
Shinyshinyface Sun 23-Sep-12 22:31:05

A few weeks ago I looked after a friend's cat for 2 weeks. She only stayed inside during that time although she is normally an outdoor cat. About 2 weeks later...we seem to have a flea infestation. I did a bit of spraying with flea spray but it hasn't helped at all and things seem to be getting worse. I'm sitting at the PC here, felt something moving on my head, shook out my hair and about three fell out shock

The awful thing is that we had a nasty episode in May with fleas that were living in the garden, left behind by foxes, they were getting brought into the house on our clothes and I was getting bitten alive. It took ages to work out what was happening, I thought we had bedbugs! Those fleas were bigger and nastier...they left massive bites like mosquito bites and at one point I had over 200 on me. Anyway...we dealt with that but that was outside...this is different as the infestation is actually in my house.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions for what to do about this...me and my three teens are not at all impressed.

if this isn't the right place for this thread I'll ask for it to be moved...it's just that we don't have a pet as such I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

Iamgiulietta Sun 23-Sep-12 22:39:59

Many moons ago we got two kittens who were riddled with fleas and we had to have our rented house fumigated by the council ( the shame grin) anyway it was the only thing that got rid. Perhaps look in the yellow pages or ring council. Good luck with getting rid ( itches)

Sparkles23 Sun 23-Sep-12 22:48:43

We had fleas a few weeks ago-they were a right fecking pain to get rid of but can be done, hoover thoroughly then spray entire house especially skirtings and under radiators etc, this will kill fleas but not eggs so keep hoovering daily, it is a right pita but hoovering is key and gets all the eggs and emerging ones -after hoovering daily and a couple more sprays all ours are gone! Did take a couple of weeks but they did go! Hoovering is key!

ShowOfHands Sun 23-Sep-12 22:49:08

Well the good news is that without a host, the adult fleas can't survive. The bad news is that each flea lays 8 billion eggs* and it can just go on and on and on. Decent spray from the vets is a must, none of this pet shop crap, and you need to be really thorough. Wash all soft furnishings, hoover daily, paying particular attention to skirting boards and nooks and crannies.

September is flea season. Last year we had a newborn ds and an infestation so terrible that it took daily hoovering, expensive vet bought flea spray, 2 visits from the council and 4 flea bombs before they were gone. I was so obsessed with fleas by the end of it.

*may be an exaggeration

Pickthatupplease Sun 23-Sep-12 22:56:17

Yes to hoovering, and each time take the bag out of the Hoover and out of the house immediately! And was bed linens and cushions and anything else (soft toys, rugs, blankets, clothes - literally anything that has touched the floor for more than 3 seconds). Do this every day until you think you've lost the will to live, and you'll have beaten them. Good luck

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 23:52:32

lots of hoovering

it may seem to be getting worse because the fleas have been hatching out and are hungry.

it is said that if you put a flea collar, or a moth-killer, in the hoover bag, it will kill the fleas in that enclosed area once you turn it off.

the tumble-drier will also kill them on rugs and soft toys, even without going through the wash.

Shinyshinyface Mon 24-Sep-12 09:01:15

Thanks for replies and useful tips.

Sounds like just a bit of hoovering then hmm

Is there any organised way to go about it? What's the best order of events?

Need to get lots more hoover bags grin

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 09:03:50

Indorex spray sorted our flea problem out.

PigletJohn Mon 24-Sep-12 09:22:06

I'm pretty sure I saw indorex sprays at half price online.

You might need a vets prescription for some things you put on an animal, but not for a household insecticide you put on a carpet.

The vibrations of an upright vac makes cat fleas jump up from the carpet thinking it is footsteps and they might land on an ankle. Thats why they mostly bite lower legs and people who crawl on the floor. I used "ant and crawling insect spray" as well as it is very cheap and readily available as own-brand at Tesco and Wilkinson. The branded flea spray probably has a different formular though. You have to be much more careful with anything that goes on a cat itself as they lick their fur and some insecticides, including the dog one, are toxic to cats.

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 10:12:46

I got mine here. It took a good three weeks before we noticed there were no more fleas but they did go!

Shinyshinyface Mon 24-Sep-12 13:03:49

Thanks for that, I've ordered some indorex. In the mean time I've still got some powder from the last invasion hmm so will get on with that plus hoovering/washing etc.

I just can't imagine how thorough you have to be to get every last one, I can see this taking quite some time.

Fleas current favourite activity seems to be to hitch a ride up the stairs and then leap off right in front of the bathroom door...really not sure why confused

MelodyPondering Mon 24-Sep-12 13:15:24

You will need more than one can of indorex. We used 3 in our 4 bed. Good luck!

PigletJohn Mon 24-Sep-12 13:37:00

this stuff contains cypermethrin which kills the adult fleas. So I use plenty of this, or the Tesco one. It also kills moths round the edges or carpets. You can probably get it in your high street and get started without waiting for your delivery.

The more expensive stuff like indorex prevents the larvae and eggs maturing as well, and lasts longer.

ShirtyKnot Mon 24-Sep-12 13:41:39

Honestly?

I would just pay to have someone caome and sort it out. We had an AWFUL infestation a few mopnths ago. I spent a small fortune on bloody flea powders and sprays and hoovered and cried and sprayed and hoovered.

In the end I paid - I think it was about £150 for someone to come out. He sprayed and nary a flea has been seem since.

Any fly that entered the house was a gonner for a few weeks afterwards as well which was slightly worrying.

<breathes in insect deathfumes>

Shinyshinyface Mon 24-Sep-12 15:45:26

Melody I ordered two, maybe by combining it with the cheaper stuff I can get away with it. So thanks for that Piglet. I'll go to Wilkinson tomorrow.

Shirty that was my first thought, just to get someone in but it's really not in the budget...I have a feeling many tears will be shed though sad

I'm kinda hoping the flea powder in the hoover bag will mean I don't have to keep emptying the bag though (lazy)

SoupDragon Mon 24-Sep-12 15:52:50

Fleas current favourite activity seems to be to hitch a ride up the stairs and then leap off right in front of the bathroom door...really not sure why

Spa day?

The Indorex sorted our problem out and I suspect it was worse than yours as the pets live here, shedding the eggs. I sprayed everywhere with the Indorex and then sprayed again wherever I found them again in the following week. Seems to have done the trick (along with treating the pets but you don't have that issue!)

ShirtyKnot Mon 24-Sep-12 15:58:16

Make sure you spray the skirting boards - that's where the infestation man concentrated most of his deathspray.

I don't know why.

Rikalaily Mon 24-Sep-12 16:03:37

I use Acclaim, one can does the whole house (3 bed) several times. It says on the can that one can covers a 4 bed house but it goes much further than that. It kills adults and stops the eggs from hatching in the carpet. You can get it on Amazon for £10 a can, it's smell isn't over powering either, smells bit like pee for an hour but drys quickly with the windows open.

I hoover and spray, then hoover lots in between and repeat 2 weeks later just incase. Then repeat in 12 months as a preventative.

MelodyPondering Mon 24-Sep-12 16:08:51

It was a nightmare, this thread might help!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1522911-i-need-some-serious-flea-help

Shinyshinyface Mon 24-Sep-12 17:41:15

Cripes Melody shock

You beat the little buggers in the end though eh?

Will keep Acclaim as next line of attack, thanks Rika.

Am thinking of asking the cat owner to cough up some of these expenses though, could really really do without this right now shock

MelodyPondering Mon 24-Sep-12 18:00:16

Oh yes, I did!

It was very stressful and felt like it would never end but then very suddenly it did. I just stopped seeing them.

My daughters room was the worst, she had to sleep in a different room at one point.

I did a can of indorex in the two worst rooms in the end (thinking about it I may well have used four or five cans)

I wasn't as vigilant about hovering as others, I relied heavily on the sprays. But they really do bloody work. I did wash most of our clothes though.

I definitely think the cat owners should help with costs, do they know about it?

A good thing to do would get them to treat the cat and have it back for a bit after spraying.

You have my sympathy, I found it so stressful sad

Shinyshinyface Mon 24-Sep-12 19:46:48

I really don't think I can wash all the clothes of three teenagers and myself, wouldn't that take about a year? <aghast>
I'm washing anything that's been lying around or close to floor level, plus whatever's actually dirty and that's enough for now...

Cat owner was a bit in denial actually hmm but I think he's got the idea now. I will ask for some money as a gesture of good will.

I get that if the cat comes back any fleas left will jump on to it...but won't it also shed a few more flea eggs?

Thanks you for the sympathy, it makes you feel absolutely shit doesn't it? Like having headlice but over the entire house grin

Rikalaily Mon 24-Sep-12 19:50:07

Make sure you spray under your couch cushions too, it's easy to forget but it's one of the places they are likey to be hatching if the cat was on the furniture. Anywhere that tends to collect dust and fluff is a haven for fleas.

MelodyPondering Mon 24-Sep-12 20:21:12

Not if they treat the cat with something like advocate first. Then they will jump on him and DIE DIE DIE!

Cat owner should pay for everything imo. It was bloody bad enough when it was my cat, it was all my fault for not being vigilant enough.

Washing things that have been near the floor would be enough I reckon, the indorex will see them away if there are any lurking...

Ugh, it really is shit, headlice are nothing to me now!

PigletJohn Mon 24-Sep-12 20:28:00

shiny

put clothes in the tumble drier to cook the fleas and eggs to death. No need to wash them if they're already clean. It works with moths too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now