Talk

Advanced search

anyone keep a condenser tumbledryer in the cupboard under the stairs?

(7 Posts)
OhGood Sun 23-Sep-12 19:03:30

<cannot cope with laundry anymore - cracking on a Sunday night with a the whole house festooned with drying clothes and DD and I have nothing dry to wear tomorrow ARGH>

Do you keep your tumbledryer under the stairs? If so, any problems with condensation/damp etc? And if not, what model do you have?

We have a fairly roomy cupboard and it would be ideal for a tumbledryer. It seems to be one of those things that is not really recommended but that lots of people do.

lostinindia Sun 23-Sep-12 19:15:57

We did for over a year till we moved. Worked fine. Have a beko but its noisy and the water drawer slides out every time its used. We now have the same dryer in a utility room and Im quite shocked at how much heat it throws out. Never noticed when it was in the cupboard even though we kept cupboard door open. If I was to house it under the stairs again Id make sure nothing else was stored in cupboard.

justabigdisco Sun 23-Sep-12 19:18:20

I have got one. To be honest we do have some damp/condensation in the house but I think that is a wider problem than just the dryer. I make sure cupboard doors are wide open, air can circulate around it and open windows whenever possible. I don't think the damp is worse because of the dryer.

OhGood Mon 24-Sep-12 09:43:40

lost Utility room must be the best. Think this house had one at one stage (with a downstairs loo) and bur previous owners took it out and extended the kitchen into it, why? why?

just that's reassuring. Damp is a massive pain. We have to fight off mould in the bathroom in the winter; fine in summer but in winter even with windows open it's still a battle.

Useful, thanks!

Mandy2003 Wed 26-Sep-12 13:06:00

Hmm, that's answered my question then! I was thinking of having one in the large cupboard that houses the freezer and used to house a dishwasher alongside. But obviously not suitable to have a dryer alongside a freezer in a confined space due to the heat!

Back to the drawing board, wondering whether to put one on a worktop corner next to a window so it can vent outside?

merryberry Wed 26-Sep-12 13:20:21

I've got a miele novotronic about 5 years old under our stairs, taking up all the space. I leave the door open when it's working as there otherwise it can get a bit damp in the confined space and it's sensors shut it down. With the door open I can't actually discern any condensation around the house from it, but I can deffo feel the heat as I go by. However I think this model is quick, quiet, large and effective compared to friends' ones that I've seen/heard in action. I do recommend it. Never needed any fixing.

bagpuss Wed 26-Sep-12 13:25:19

We've got a zanussi under our stairs and previously had a hotpoint. The hotpoint broke down but I don't think it was down to the positioning of it. I always leave the door open and the kitchen window too. It does get a bit steamy in the kitchen but in the winter it is a bonus as I don't need the heating on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now