Talk

Advanced search

how much does a deep clean of a 2 bed flat cost? Approx?

(12 Posts)
mrswee Sun 23-Sep-12 11:08:15

Hi

we are moving soon, have been renovating a bigger flat for 3 months. It's really taken it out of us physically and finacially!
We are about the put our smaller flat up for rent and it needs a serious clean, a very serious clean!
I have been trying to do it myself but I am almost 7 months pregnant and have a 2 year old and it's proving very difficult. We've hardly done more than the basics cleaning wise in the flat for the last 3 months untiol this week as so much of our time have been spent renovationing the other place and well it's disgusting and I'm very embarressed!! I have been usong a steam cleaner which does help but physically there are lots of things I can't reach with the bump getting in the way and the toddler getting in the way and bored!!

I'm not sure I can afford it but does anyone know how much a proffesional deep clean would cost... or is it better/cheaper/ worth it just to book 6 hours of cleaning?

or any other tips welcome!!

thanks!

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 23-Sep-12 14:18:22

About £250 shock for a deep clean I think locally (Greater London) for a 2 bed flat - but I'd keep an eye out or check reviews carefully as some 'deep clean's are rubbish definitely not worth £250! hmm

anice Sun 23-Sep-12 14:18:50

a 4 bed, 3 rec house cost me £175. Carpets and curtains would be extra.
Most fo the time is spent on the kitchen and bathroom.

Look for "end of tenancy" cleans on the internet and then get a couple round for a quote. (it helps with the price if they are only cleaning the room, not all your furniture too.

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 23-Sep-12 14:20:36

Hope it all goes well for you however you go about it! smile

mamij Sun 23-Sep-12 14:22:33

We had an end of tenancy clean for a two bed house for £250 (7 hours) including steam clean of upstairs carpets (we provided cleaning materials and vacuum).

Even though they were a professional cleaning company, not everything got done properly. There were still cobwebs on the ceilings and windows were not wiped down properly. So you really need to check it through before they leave. Some do offer to come back for free within 24 hours though.

HoratiaWinwood Sun 23-Sep-12 14:27:11

We were quoted £300 or similar. I laughed.

I would consider asking friends to muck in though - maybe a room each or something, for wine/chocolates/love/future favours.

But in end I did it myself, 7m pg although physically fit with it.

mrswee Sun 23-Sep-12 23:19:42

Sounds like a deep clean isn't worth it. I don't have carpets or curtains and the furniture doesn't need done.. we've just got rather grotty edges and corners every where! May be I'll just block book 4 or 6 hours of cleaning or get a friend to help. I am getting there but its difficult with a toddler undoing it all.
It's probably good for me to be crawling about on all fours while pregnant anyway!

mamij Mon 24-Sep-12 16:28:13

Definitely not worth the money. Unfortunately it was part of the rental agreement that it had to be 'professionally cleaned' when we moved out. Too much money to tick the box and show the receipt!

Chrestomanci Wed 26-Sep-12 11:47:35

For future reference (and anyone reading the thread) a clause in a tenancy agreement which insists on a professional clean is an unfair term. They can ask that you clean it to a professional standard yourself (although you technically only have to leave it as clean as it was when you moved in)

link

Sorry it's too late for you mamij, but in the hope it might help someone else save some money...

anice Wed 26-Sep-12 12:00:11

Chrestomanci - that's interesting. I know its called betterment if they ask for something more than you got when you moved in, but would a professional clean be like for like??

I was furious last year because I moved into a house that was filthy (I mean really, really dirty), but the inventory clerk filled out his form and ticked the box to say it was clean. Then he had a passage about how I agreed to return it at the end of the tenancy "in hotel condition" and he signed it on my behalf, as people used to when they took a credit card payment over the phone.
I am still living in the house so I don't know how hard i will have to fight when we leave. However, I did complain vociferously in writing at the time, so I have something to fall back on.

Chrestomanci Wed 26-Sep-12 12:27:03

this gives a bit more detail on how the TDS would look at it (Disclaimer I'm not legally qualified)

If you have a paper trail to show that it was disputed at the start of the tenancy that would put you in a stronger position at the end, and I always wrote over anything I disagreed with on the inventory and took pictures.

However I must admit, I have always given in and cleaned when leaving, although when I moved in some were really grotty flats, just because the property was pretty clean anyway, and it was easier not to antagonize the landlord (before the TDS as well)

mamij Wed 26-Sep-12 15:05:24

Chrestomanci - thanks for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now