Talk

Advanced search

Dyson Animal - which model!

(13 Posts)
TheDetective Sat 22-Sep-12 23:47:29

Dyson have set out to confuse me. They have multiple models, and I don't know which is better for me!

I have long piled carpets, and a hairy lab. I was advised in a shop to go for 41, but not sure??

Currently have Miele Cat and Dog, and its crap. I need more suction (Miele needs me on my hands and knees with the upholstery brush to make a decent job of things). I don't know what I should be looking for....

Price no object (desperate!!)

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 23-Sep-12 00:35:55

Hate to say it but Miele supposed to be better than Dyson... My Miele Cat/Dog is great. Appreciate this is not helpful!

Do you need dog/cat if short haired dog though?

TheDetective Sun 23-Sep-12 00:37:34

She's not short haired, more's the pity! I have a horrendous malter sad

My Miele has always been crap - before the dog, and before my longer piled carpets came along (had 2 cats before then). Never rated it at all.

kiwidreamer Sun 23-Sep-12 08:50:27

We recently got the animal 41 and it's brilliant on carpet, I love it!!! It's not that great on the laminate floor but fit for purpose. We had a pull along VAX before which was rubbish, I am amazed at the suction on the dyson, our bedroom carpet is crap and the VAX couldn't even pick up threads or my hair - the first vacuum with the dyson we got a whole cannister of dust/hair/general muck off the floor just from the one room - the carpet looked like new!!!!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 23-Sep-12 08:57:31

Miele are supposed to be better than Dyson.

I hate my Dyson and I don't have pet hairs to contend with.

I have replaced it with a henry which I love - functionally, if a bit bulky.

I think you will love your new dyson for a couple of months honeymoon period and then regret it.

ChablisLover Sun 23-Sep-12 08:59:40

I hate mine and I have no pets - was best on offer when I bought it.

Want a Henry or sebo(?)

senoritachiquita Sun 23-Sep-12 09:05:27

I LOVE my dyson animal but it's an old model which I dont thimk they do any more. I have long thick curly hair which gets everywhere - the Henry couldn't deal with it at all. You wouldn't believe what came off the carpet when I first used the Dyson. Had it a year and still love it.

tara0202 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:08:59

I just got a 39 last week. I have a hairy weimaraner. Not seen a dog hair on my cream carpet since. I find it great. I also traded in my old vaccum and got it for £239 from £279 at argos. I had meant to buy the ball one but just stuck with what I had.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 23-Sep-12 09:11:22

All new vacuums have a honeymoon period where they seem so much more functional than your old one.

You can prolong that honeymoon by cleaning filters but it is often a honeymoon.

follyfoot Sun 23-Sep-12 09:15:03

The chap in our local (independent) electrical shop says dont buy anything other than a Sebo. There is an animal model. Also, am a member of a dog rescue forum and the Sebo gets recommended time after time on there.

Waiting for my Dyson to break grin

TheDetective Sun 23-Sep-12 18:32:30

We got the 41 in the end. It's fantastic.

Was sure it was the carpet/dog combination and figured that surely to Miele couldn't be that shit... Well. It was.

No more hands and knees hoovering for me!!! I don't mind hoovering daily, I do object to having to do it on hands and knees and spending 2 hours to do a whole house (small 3 bed semi not Buckingham Palace!)

DP has hoovered the whole house in 25 mins and it was effortless! Yippeeeeee!

EmberRainbow Sun 23-Sep-12 18:47:08

I have a DC33 which i have used daily for almost 2 years and recently got the handheld digital slim animal DC35.

I find both deal well with dogs hair/toddler mess on cream carpets (long and short pile) and laminate but since getting the handheld i use that much more as it's so quick and easy to use with just as good suction as the big dyson. I would recommend getting one with a turbo brush head thing as it makes getting dog hair off the stairs easier.

There's a comparison tool on the Dyson site that may help you decide? Looks like the DC41 is more powerful, has more capacity and cord reach but is heavier...

www.dyson.co.uk/shop/productcompare.aspx?filters=Pet-owners&ProductSelection=DC41-Animal_DC40-Animal_DC33-Animal

EmberRainbow Sun 23-Sep-12 18:48:40

oopps to late...

Glad you're happy with it, happy hoovering smile

I'd still recommend the handheld too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now