Talk

Advanced search

pillows- life span?

(10 Posts)
Lavenderhoney Tue 18-Sep-12 19:45:07

I have some pillows which are a couple of years old and are feather and the cases are a bit stained (not disgusting, just off colour a bit) the expenses of having them cleaned outweighs just buying some, but dh thinks they should last longer.

I am happy to replace them every so often, but what do you do? I won't buy feather again though, i don't think.

thanks!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 18-Sep-12 21:00:05

Ours are coming up for 4 years old and definitely need replacing. They're not feather ones though.

Lavenderhoney Thu 20-Sep-12 20:00:14

Its the stains I don't like, and all the stories of normal bugs in your bed..

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 20-Sep-12 20:02:14

blush at the age of 24 I finally gave up my first pillow (got that at about 2). Got new ones when I bought my house and they are IKEA so comdy but im not sensing longevity from them. Though they are four years old and still perfectly good.

amillionyears Thu 20-Sep-12 20:05:16

Gave up washing pillows years ago.
My family has asthma sufferers so if in doubt,pillows are out in our household.

sportyme Sat 22-Sep-12 08:44:04

I use dunlopillo pillows, and whilst not the cheapest, they are the best. They arw latex rather then feather, so will suffer less from microbes and general bugs. They are soooooo comfy, and I've had my current set for about 8 years and they feel like the first day I bought them. I've got the super comfort ones which have a removable cover for washing. You can find out more information on them here Dunlopillo

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:57:13

I just put mine in the machine with gentle non bio wash.

greenhill Sat 22-Sep-12 10:07:25

Years ago a new pillow case would be added to the outside of the existing pillowcase and stitched on securely. If you aren't prepared to wash / dry the feathers this could be an option.

Why keep something you feel squeamish about though?

AllPastYears Sat 22-Sep-12 11:04:04

The cases do get stained, even if you use an underpillowcase (isn't there a special name for those? My brain can't remember it if so...). Anyway, I put our (synthetic) pillows in the wash, and if they come out manky still then we get new ones.

Lavenderhoney Sat 22-Sep-12 12:58:59

Money to spare is why I am loathe to replace them! But I really want to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now