Talk

Advanced search

Grubby looking bath (the shame)

(25 Posts)
Squirrelface Thu 13-Sep-12 19:24:18

I have an enamel bath which never looks clean, no matter how much I try. There are horrible grey areas at the taps end (where people rest their feet?). It really does look grim, but no amount of scrubbing with bath cleaner seems to shift it. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I've damaged the enamel. Is this a case for re-enamelling or is there some wonder product out there which would shift it?

Gigondas Thu 13-Sep-12 19:28:58

You could try barkeepers friend as a one off- it is best thing I know of at shifting worn on grime.

ContinentalKat Thu 13-Sep-12 19:40:14

If descaler doesn't shift it It sounds to me as if the enamel has worn off, as enamel baths are usually easy-peasy to clean.

Where I come from, you can buy re-coating in every DIY shop. Not sure about the availability of such a crazy continental product in the land of the plastic bath, though...

Gigondas Thu 13-Sep-12 19:40:53

eBay can be your friend for that kind of stuff

LBsBongers Thu 13-Sep-12 19:48:01

Try a full bath with bio washing powder in it?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Sep-12 13:53:59

have you used a limescale-removing product?

Once you use an abrasive such as barkeepers friend, cif or ajax, you will wear away the enamel surface polish, and it will get dirty faster, and be more difficult to clean. Mostly, a "bathroom cleaning spray" wil remove skin grease, soap scum and slight limescale. A nylon pan scourer will remove more (but not on plastic baths which scratch easily)

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Sep-12 16:48:13

I saw a magazine article once where they re-enamaled a bath, it looked fabulous and didnt seem to cost a lot.

LexieSinclair Fri 14-Sep-12 17:19:36

My old bath was like that, the enamel was damaged. I was told it's hard to get the finish right on a DIY kit and professional job was over £200 so we got a new plastic bath. Sorry that's not very helpful.

wafflingworrier Fri 14-Sep-12 17:24:46

whatever you do DON'T try scrubbing nailvarnish remover on the stains. i di. after someone "swore by it" to me. needless to say, my bathtub looked a state afterwards.

Squirrelface Fri 14-Sep-12 17:40:12

Thanks for all your replies. I've worked my way through a variety of bath cleaning sprays, cif etc and I've used vinegar to remove limescale. I think I'll try the bath full with bio washing powder next... I do suspect the enamel surface is damaged though.

deleted203 Fri 14-Sep-12 17:45:21

Mine too is horrid - and I had the wretched thing re-enamelled about 8 years ago. It's Victorian and original with lion claw feet and I adore it. But...my flaming DSs have dropped the brass (or whatever they're made out of) plug in it lots of times, DDs have dropped end of brass shower attachment hanging over it washing their hair, etc and there are chips all over it now. Big flaky bits of enamel missing, sigh. And yeah...I've also got a kind of green/grey limescale mark running down by the tap end. I'm wondering whether to save up for re-enamelling or just resign myself to a tatty old bathtub.

kittythames Sun 16-Sep-12 15:39:14

I had the exact same problem, I was too worried about damaging it and making it look worse but using any super strong cleaners. Someone, somewhere (thank you whoever you were!) suggested Astonish Kitchen and Cookware cleaner. It's a mildly abrasive paste and with a little elbow grease it made my bath sparklier than it's ever been! It got rid of the limescale round the plug hole and they disgusting sort of tide mark I hadn't been able to shift. I even invited friends in to see how good it looked, yes I am that sad.
I got mine in Home Bargains for 69p but they also have it in the pound shops and probably the supermarkets.
Word of warning - it's addictive, and you'll probably have a pain in your arm because you clean so many things with it!!

PigletJohn Sun 16-Sep-12 16:06:02

sowornout

The green limescale stain under the tap means the washer is worn out and needs replacing. Cost of tapwashers is about 5p per thousand. Interestingly, the usual cause of damaged tap washers and seatings is people who turn them off with enormous force. An undamaged tap and washer should seal if turned off with your thumb.

PigletJohn Sun 16-Sep-12 16:08:15

OK so I exaggerated

or the top gland nut might need tightening.

Squirrelface Sun 16-Sep-12 19:13:10

kittythames I like the sound of that. Had a quick google - is it the one called "Astonish Oven and Cookware Cleaner"?

kittythames Sun 16-Sep-12 19:44:07

Yes that's it. Can't recommend it highly enough, was great on the uPVC too.

deleted203 Mon 17-Sep-12 00:16:37

(Hang head in shame)blush. I've got some of that in my cupboard....only I haven't got round to using it on anything. Right, I shall try it....and sorting out the washer. Still got bloody great chips in the enamel, sigh...

reastie Mon 17-Sep-12 15:40:50

I have a similar problem - we have a gorgeous antique roll top enamel bath but it looks rank. I'm scared to using most cleaners for fear of ruining it - I once used cillit bang and it was a nightmare - really too much for the bath and there were odd stains on the bath from the cleaner as well as the remaining limescale/general marks for weeks afterwards.

I use a product called 'bath shine' I think it's by HG - I got it from homebase. It was recommended by a bathroom shop who fitted our shower as being the best thing for my bath. It does help it look shiny-ish but there's still lots of permanent marks on the bath.

FWIW we looked in to the cost of re-enamelling - we were told it can be done in situ or taken away and that in situ ones weren't always very good or sucessful in the long term and the only proper way of doing it is to take the bath out and get it done. Being as our bath is huge and massively heavy it looks like it will be too expensive for us to do for a good long time sad

Please keep us updated OP with how this recommended cleaner works.

Squirrelface Mon 17-Sep-12 15:52:01

It seems to be stocked by Aldi, so I've instructed DP to look for it when he goes there later this week - will keep you posted.
(I must say I'm beginning to feel a little better finding out that I'm not the only one with a less than pristine looking bath!)

deleted203 Tue 18-Sep-12 21:21:21

reastie I had my bath re-enamelled in situ and it cost something like £150.00 (can't remember exactly - it was 8 years ago). It looked fantastic when it was done, and I can't fault the guy. The problem with it now is the bloody DCs dropping stuff in it and chipping it, rather than a problem with the enamelling job if that's any help to you!

reastie Wed 19-Sep-12 07:15:35

That is interesting sowornout - I was just going there on what I'd been told by the person who did our shower. We do drop stuff alot though blush so chipping enamel doesn't sound like a great look. I'd love to have a white shiny bath again though - one that actually looks clean when you clean it!

FreshWest Wed 19-Sep-12 19:58:20

Just wanted to add here to thank kittythames for mentioning the Astonish paste. I bought some a whlie ago to use on our upvc and it worked a treat. Never even thought to use it on the bath. Well, I did today and it was brilliant. Got rid of some marks from toys that I thought couldn't be shifted and made removing the tide mark sooo easy. Thanks again!

reastie Thu 20-Sep-12 07:46:18

Ohhh, have ordered some today grin - can someone please reassure me though that using it on an antique bath with very thin enamel in places really won't ruin it?

Squirrelface Thu 20-Sep-12 18:48:20

Dammit, put my order in with the other half for the Astonish wonder cure and he's just come back without it. Meanwhile I spotted it in Poundland and didn't buy it because I thought he was getting it. Sad though it is, I'm actually getting quite excited about the prospect of trying it out!

kittythames Sun 23-Sep-12 09:43:51

Glad to be of service FreshWest!

reastie - the enamel in my bath is very worn (got a yellow mark when DH put bleach down the plug!) and it was fine. Try a little bit first if you're worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now