Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know how to clean a WHITE FRANKE sink?

(13 Posts)
CravingSunshine Fri 07-Sep-12 19:26:51

We have just inherited one in our new home and it's proving to be a complete pain to keep clean. Currently it's stained as I left an onion peel in there a bit too long. Even thin bleach and water for a few hours hasn't cleared the stains - coffee etc. Any ideas? Thanks!

SwedishEdith Fri 07-Sep-12 19:29:09

Is it ceramic? Barkeeper's Friend cleans anything

SkivingAgain Fri 07-Sep-12 19:38:03

If it's ceramic, I find hob cleaner pretty good.

CravingSunshine Fri 07-Sep-12 20:09:27

Oh great, thanks for the quick replies. I'll look into those products. Not sure what it's made of. Looks like a kind of '80s white plastic but I'm sure it's not plastic...confused

PigletJohn Fri 07-Sep-12 21:00:19

if it is very hard and rigid, it is probably a reconstituted stone like Asterite.

Yes, Barkeepers Friend is the best cleaner. It is slightly abrasive and grinds away the stained surface. I use it with a green nylon pan scourer. Nothing else will remove rust stains from grill pans, tins etc.

You can also bleach out most stains with hot water and a few denture tablets, or a dishwasher tablet.

I have bought a Stainless Bistro sink for my forthcoming refit as I am fed up with the white one. I'd suggest you consider doing the same.

Katepart Sun 23-Nov-14 16:15:00

Just bought 2 white franke frag anime sinks. Look nice but impossible to clean and everything stains. Phoned franke who said not to use bleach but cream and granite cleaner. Neither wonderful. Any ideas?

Schumann Sun 23-Nov-14 16:25:37

I've just inherited white sinks in our new house too. No idea what they're made of but they're very hard.
I soak the children's school shirts in Napisan once a week which has the added benefit of getting rid of the sink stains smile

Ragwort Sun 23-Nov-14 16:47:55

I've never found anything that really works, after two similar 'ceramic' sinks in my last two houses I was delighted to find an bog standard stainless steel one in my current home grin.

wowfudge Sun 23-Nov-14 18:09:47

Best thing is to fill with a solution of warm water and bio washing powder. Leave it overnight. Works really well. I've recently cleaned a really filthy white sink and draining board in a house the tenant moved out of using washing powder.

If there are any really stubborn marks, a paste left on for a while then scrubbed with some added water - use an old toothbrush - does the trick.

pengymum Sun 23-Nov-14 18:45:33

Yes - washing powder does the trick.
What I do now is sprinkle some on damp sink, leave for a while & then scrub all over with scourer sponge. Then fill sink with warm water & leave j cloths/sponges soaking for a while. Then drain & rinse. Leave cloths etc to dry overnight for next day. Easy. Shiny sink & clean cloths.
Usually do in break after dinner when watching TV.

EarSlaps Sun 23-Nov-14 21:21:13

Barkeeper's friend is amazing stuff- only thing that shifted strange marks in our sink where DH tapped his razor on the sink. That Atonish paste or a magic sponge might work too. I love Astonish paste.

KateMoose Mon 24-Nov-14 11:00:53

Flash eraser. Miracle product.

southeastastra Mon 24-Nov-14 11:05:18

i just use neat bleach on my white sink, then scrub it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now