Your best tips for moving house/packing/moving day please?

(65 Posts)
womblingalong Sat 18-Aug-12 18:21:48

We are moving house in 13 days (eek! - just writing that down is scary!) and I am working for 6 of those days. I am knee deep in boxes and black bin liners of things for the tip/charity shop, and not sure I will be done in time without a nervous breakdown.

Any advice for getting things done and not losing the plot would be most gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
moverman Mon 20-Jan-20 23:00:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mukeshcreatisoul Thu 09-Jan-20 05:03:28

Outimurs Mon 18-Feb-19 10:17:13

packersmoversinhyderabad Wed 23-Jan-19 10:57:41

MissCherryCakeyBun Wed 05-Sep-18 18:19:13

grin Zombie thread alert

Expert Wed 05-Sep-18 12:49:49

Advertisement

GrindorgTH Tue 26-Jun-18 11:05:15

carlaobjj Mon 04-Dec-17 14:06:06

MyStore Tue 05-Sep-17 09:37:23

user1496737497 Tue 06-Jun-17 09:33:43

debjanekel Tue 16-May-17 15:28:04

We are in a chain of 4 people and have been trying to move house for 3 months now. Solicitors at top of chain are being very slow and not coming back to queries from their client; however, we all want to move next week. Most solicitors in the chain are confident it can be done - but can't confirm. We are all packed up and all desperate to move. One family in the chain has suggested we all move anyway on the day we want next week and just the let the money sort itself out a few days later. Has anybody else risked this?

simonlongremovals Tue 14-Feb-17 13:29:17

Houseconfusion Tue 20-Sep-16 08:20:00

Packers - professional removal company. You go and sit in the garden while it gets done.

Gadziala09 Tue 20-Sep-16 08:17:32

Gadziala09 Wed 14-Sep-16 07:34:33

whatatod0 Fri 13-May-16 11:55:59

We used packers - it was brilliant. I de-cluttered as I unpacked rather than packed.
We moved house and went on holiday in the early hours the following morning - madness!!
I packed holiday suitcases and kept them in the car boot, then a basket of essential paperwork and gadget charges and kept that in the car too. Ds was returning that day from a holiday with a friends family, and our dd is autistic and started freaking out as we arrived in the new house.
However, the movers were great, and put the beds back up for us, and the food back in the fridge/freezer.
Just keep the movers plied with tea and coffee!!
Good luck, and enjoy your new house. Congrats!! flowers

benstevens Mon 09-May-16 13:45:44

Laradata Tue 09-Feb-16 07:37:27

very helpful and working tips you share. i am gonna move in next week in Wandsworth and in search of good help and u did my help thank you for this on of friend recommend me a removal company "Kingman and van London" but i am still looking for more good and your tips helps me much in this regard....http://www.kingmanandvanlondon.co.uk/man-and-van-wandsworth

NateGreen Mon 25-Jan-16 07:25:50

Woah... Your situation looks pretty hectic. I can totally relate. Me and my girls moved our home recently and it was hell. I was seeking for advice just like you and a lot of people responded kindly. But actually, it was a lot after that I found some great tips for moving out, so maybe you should check them if there's something that could be of help - www.minds.com/blog/view/536531660871577600

mishalmary Fri 22-Jan-16 07:52:45

ManAndVan Thu 01-Oct-15 12:06:24

Just thought this may help your readers, we have spent a year building our blog to help people prepare for the big moving day here. Many Thanks Simon. www.bookyourmanwithavan.com/blog/

Maryam45 Sun 06-Sep-15 07:55:11

I moved from a larger to smaller home last time (2100 – 1700 sq ft).Fortunately I had purged a lot in the months before, but I still had a boatload of stuff. Luckily the storage was much more efficient than the previous home, and the number of kitchen cabinets was the same. Lots of built in shelving and closet organizers, too. Four years later I am doing a major purge and I’m finding that most of it is stuff I had moved!

I also used color coded labels and visualized where everything was going as I packed it. I really didn’t have to move many boxes from room to room. When I did a rolling office chair made a great dolly! Here is an article about how to start packing for your move that was really helpful for me. www.wilson-removals.co.uk/how-to-start-packing-for-your-move/

I find moving to a new home very exciting – I hope you get there too.

letsdavidjohn Mon 27-Jul-15 11:44:17

FrostNixon Thu 16-Oct-14 09:26:08

Ditto the comments about labelling boxes and rooms at new house.

As they carry each box in, it's easier to cross off the list.

But my BIG tip is this - as boxes are coming in - have someone make up your bed for you. You will no doubt work until totally exhausted on that first day. Having to sort out your bed, sheets, the lot when you are pooped is not fun.

My ex-wife and ex-MIL did this for me whilst I was overseeing boxes. I still think of that as something very thoughtful and caring.

It's a big stress - but planning and forethought will get you through it!

Good luck!

Umita Wed 08-Oct-14 22:05:01

Depending on where you live, you can get TaskRabbit to come and help you pack. I used them to move a bunch of stuff to the tip when I moved house. Great service.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in