Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had food moths?

(10 Posts)
OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 23-Jun-12 09:36:40

blasted things came into the house via a bag of guinea pig food thanks a lot frigging Pets at Home Thought we'd got rid once we threw out the bag of food but they've now appeared in my kitchen. I have put all dried foods etc in storage jars/tins but more and more of the little buggers are appearing.

Have looked on Internet and it seems I can buy various sprays etc to eliminate them but wondered if anyone had any recommendations? They are apparently harmless - phew! - but it's kind of putting me off my food when I open a cupboard and a couple fly out hmm

Help!

alittlebitshy Sat 23-Jun-12 12:12:16

yes - had this about 7 years ago. For me it stopped when i cleaned the cupboards out and put stuff in tubs.....

still dread it happening again.

good luck - sorry not to have answers.

PigletJohn Sat 23-Jun-12 14:13:15

I'd do for the pheromone trap

and as long as the food was in jars or boxes, perhaps a wardrobe-type moth killer. They are not supposed to be harmful to people, and they give off so little vapour that they only work inside a closed container, but it would probably stop the moths wandering about and spreading.

One of the crawling insect sprays that leaves a hard film on shelves is safe in food cupboards.

Sabriel Sun 24-Jun-12 14:05:36

Yes we had Indian meal moths from bird seed. We had to get rentokil out- TBH it's too big a DIY job to make sure you completely eliminate them. Ours hadn't spread to our kitchen fortunately. We were told to freeze everything because they can still get into tupperware type containers but are not resistant to extreme cold. wiki

OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 25-Jun-12 17:25:27

Thanks for replies, DH got some spray to do the insides of the cupboards and a 'bomb' to set off in the kitchen.

We spent all yesterday morning clearing out every cupboard, binned loads of open packets etc. Cleaned cupboards and sprayed then set the bomb off and buggered off out for the rest of the day lol!

So far, so good - no moths about this morning whereas there would have been at least 6 on the cupboard doors etc usually. I don't think we'll know if we've got them all or not for a few weeks as there could be some larvae still around but hopefully, if it needs doing again, it won't be such a big job next time. I just have cupboards full of Kilner jars now!

Sabriel whilst we were out yesterday we took the kids into a pet shop. DD wanted to buy some bird seed to hang on the tree outside her window - DH picked up a bag only to see a bloody moth crawling inside it! I can't tell you how ironic it was, DD was gutted we refused to buy any but dear lord, there was no way we were going to reintroduce them into our house again! Just out of interest, what did Rentokil do/use to deal with your moths?

hereshegoesagain Mon 25-Jun-12 17:27:27

pheromone trap works very well, but looks disgusting, like fly paper... yuk.
We constantly have them despite locking things in jars all the time. They seem to switch to a new diet when we eliminate what they prefer or when we forget to use jars for stuff.... had them on and off for 2-3 years....

Sabriel Mon 25-Jun-12 18:37:39

Some sort of spray. We had to stay out of the house, with our cats and dog.

It did the trick and the moths didn't come back.

OhThisIsJustGrape Tue 26-Jun-12 12:06:51

Day 2 and still no moths... Praying they are gone for good smile

PigletJohn Tue 26-Jun-12 13:54:10

what spray and bomb did you use?

remember to come back and update in a couple of months to say if the problem was cured long-term.

Natarsha Mon 12-Nov-12 11:47:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now